Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP: Lao Ma for Serenity

Hmm... I'll have to consider this a bit. I like the change to the grassy areas and the boardwalks, but the road... I'm not really sure what it is, but something about it is bugging me.

I think maybe it is actually the buildings. I think the stark whiteness of the buildings is in such contrast to the road that surrounds them that it just doesn't seem to 'fit', if that makes any sense.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

No that does actually make sense, it is the same feeling that I have to some extent but it was late and I wanted to get to bed. When I made the roads darker than the original it did not look right either, ditto lighter. This road pattern I think might clash with the pattern for the grassy areas and that is what is setting off our "not right" response. I would have liked something that was more of an "inward gausian" effect but I could not button monkey my way to that.

BTW, I am so glad that I waited until everything was done before I added the backgrounds (and the textures to the road) as those are a bear to work with if you are making minor corrections and adjustments. Since this is a forum to discuss these sorts of issues, I thought I'd mention that outright.

Yes, I agree about the individual buildings now looking painfully vanilla. If this were for money I might worry about that a lot more Actually, it is also more my style to have eveything in more stark lines, I like the blueprint style for my own work rather than the photorealistic/rendered style. That just makes everything more simple for gaming purposes (I'm not even going to leave the background in when I print a version for the players to use when we game tabletop this weekend.

I might tinker with the map later, but I just got some paying offers so I'll probably just fiddle with the road and put a stake in this one and call it done for now. I'll post the last version if there is one. Who knows, maybe some day some unsupecting soul will remove that stake and cause this map to rise again...

Ah, very good!

I think the road could work if it had 'rut lines' added, but than can be for when it rises again.

So will you be sharing your paying work with us? At least snippets?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Apprentice

it seems to me that what you've done to the roads makes them look blurred. the grass looks good but i didn't mind it before as i like simple.

LIke you, I prefer a simple, straight map that can be printed in B&W and not kill a printer. Before I print, just turn the background "off" altogether (hide the layer). If I make any changes, I'll be sure to post the map in both B&W and color form.

RP, as far as sharing, I'm not sure whether that is Kosher? Never really had an opportunity to share before, so I never asked....

You probably won't be able to share the whole piece for IP reasons, but a zoomed in section is usually allowed, with permission of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12