Thread: First CC3 drawing, and a little help, please?

Guild Apprentice

Post First CC3 drawing, and a little help, please?

First drawing, and a little help, please?

OK, here's my first drawing using CC3...

You can download it from here
    http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/cc/downloads.html

The issue is as follows:

Set-up: Win2K-SP4 / CC3 / CD Pro / SS3 (Modern)

I've cured the layering and sheets issues I had; now I need to tidy up the poly fills for the woodland, as to be frank, it just looks messy.

I've followed earlier advice from the CC-2 Mailing List regarding using the CC3 ability to use symbol fills in poly shapes, and that's worked just fine: The problem is that en-mass in a large poly shape, they can be, well, overpowering is a good word for it, as you can see above. So I need to to know how to fill a poly shape with a different symbol than those supplied in the poly fill dialogue box.

In the lead up to this (i.e., preparation), I've also tried to make custom symbols for this, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this - the help files are, I find, confusing, and the CCComplete pdf file from ProFantasy is again, confusing, as it only relates to CC2, which, as you can imagine, is somewhat infuriating, to say the least.

So, I also need to know how to generate a brand new symbol custom set: I cannot seem to find any plain English explanation of how to do this, and believe me, I've looked.

Folks, I'm at hair-in-clumps-on-the-floor time here - a little help, please?

Thanks in advance,
    Landgrab website: Strouden - Spinward Marches 2327

I know nothing about CC, but just wanted to chime in & say "nice map!" Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Apprentice

Don -

Thanks, and thanks

The most immediate goal is to replace the existing overcrowded (and therefore messy) woodland symbology with something more like an Ordnance Survey symbology for Deciduous Woodland; after that, it'll be pretty much there, so minor tweaks here and there, I suspect

Roger

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

You are suffering from a common thing when it comes to pattern/texture tiling. You can see obvious tiling/seam effects, and it looks gross.

You basically have a few options, and first you need to decide where you want to go with the map. Do you want it to look accurate? Do you want a "representation" of what a forest looks like? Or are you looking for something that outlines the forest?

See, the symbols are meant to show a representation of the forest, not actually be the texture of the forest. This is why it looks bad.

So your options are, depending on what you choose:

1) Make the trees larger, and manually place a few trees here and there to break up the seams
    2) Paint a green area, and use the symbol with single instances to paint in the suggestion. In this case, less is more. That is how they did the old school maps back in the day.
    3) Make a texture that mimics the forest and paint it around the area. You are doing a top down effect, so perhaps you can make another file of just trees with backgrounds, and save it and tile it in a graphical editor.

Hope that helps you out a little, and good luck!

Sandeman

Guild Apprentice

kalmarjan -

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan
    You are suffering from a common thing when it comes to pattern/texture tiling. You can see obvious tiling/seam effects, and it looks gross.
    yep. You hit the nail on the head, squarely and truly It wouldn't be so bad if I could see why, but the meadows fill came up beautifully, so I'm at a loss to understand how in the heck the woodland fill is so atrocious

You basically have a few options, and first you need to decide where you want to go with the map. Do you want it to look accurate? Do you want a "representation" of what a forest looks like? Or are you looking for something that outlines the forest?
    Similar to the meadows fill, I'm looking to represent woodland; if you know the 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey "Landranger" series of maps, those are similar to what I have in mind (Deciduous woodland symbols).

I'm hoping to replace the current woodland fill with a fair few of these (below), in fact

See, the symbols are meant to show a representation of the forest, not actually be the texture of the forest. This is why it looks bad.
    Yep, I follow the reasoning there, thanks.

So your options are, depending on what you choose:

1) Make the trees larger, and manually place a few trees here and there to break up the seams
    2) Paint a green area, and use the symbol with single instances to paint in the suggestion. In this case, less is more. That is how they did the old school maps back in the day.
    3) Make a texture that mimics the forest and paint it around the area. You are doing a top down effect, so perhaps you can make another file of just trees with backgrounds, and save it and tile it in a graphical editor.

Hope that helps you out a little, and good luck!

Sandeman
    helped a little, but see above for more hopefully helpful information for a possible way to helping me solve this problem!

Thanks in advance again!