Thread: Hi.

Post Hi.

My D&D group didn't know what they were getting when they appointed me the official cartographer of the group.

Most of the created world we play was created before I was joined, so mostly I've just polished the pre-existing maps up, but for a while now I've had the urge to really update and polish the maps. Make them more natural, or as much as possible in keeping with the pre-existing maps, -- add plate tectonics, climate, native plant and wildlife, etc to the maps and basically all the little details my DMs don't worry about when creating the campaigns.

Which is what lead me here.

Actually, it was in searching for ideas on making a globe for the world that linked me to a topic in here.

And I have to say, I'm impressed with this forum. I'm mostly a "figure it out for myself" but there are a lot of useful tutorials and ideas and resources here that are just to amazing not to take advantage of.

Not to mention how awesome it is just to have a place to talk about maps and mapmaking with people that are just as enthusiastic about it.

So, Hi.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. Poke around and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Map

Thank you. I thought I maybe should share the first map I made for my groups D&D with you all.

It's still a work in progress. I am thinking about applying some of the elements in Ascension's How to make a Continent in photoshop tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photograph (37)2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	14112  

Actually, I don't think that you need to do that at all...your hand drawn mountains look uber sweet. I like things to be fast and if I had the patience I'd do my mtns like you Nice job, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks!

At first I tried the cloud difference method on a very basic level as I don't have much experience with that, the effect wasn't bad just way to large and high for the size of the continent (roughly the size of australia). So I had to manually go in and draw them, which meant I first had to teach myself to draw them.

Well you've done a great job with that and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more like this pop up around here soon (probably from me)

Guild Novice

That sounds like a really fun project

It is!! I made the unfortunate mistake of beginning it in the small lull in the weeks approaching finals. It was extremely difficult to pull myself away to study.