Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Ruk’ifera’gina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Ruins of Ruk’ifera’gina

Ok and sense I have completed my cavernous expeditions of the malign mushrooms, I'm now moving on to the next part of the adventure and maps. This would be the Ruins of an ancient eladrin city that has sunken beneath the earth.
    I want to show that this place is connected to the Feywild as well, so if you guys see like vines and stuff you know why...which btw I need to find a png of vines running across the ground.
    But any help you guys can offer please do, atm I'm really trying and not feeling vary successful.
    Surgeon's General Warning
    Heathan causes brain tumors, mass hysteria, random acts of violence, road rage, drunken nudity, world peace, 'the munchies', white noise, insanity, cthulu, anal leakage, METAL, presence of extraterrestrial, the freeing of ‘twins’, SNEAK ATTACK!, smoking, alcoholism, unadulterated awesomeness, and GANGSTA.

Eberron Ecologies 4/5 Rice Crispy Treats (by me and some other folks).
    The Ten Commandments of Character Optimization 5/5 Rice Crispy Treats

Ok and in the begining...there was the entrance....
    So this is the begining of the entrance and God did not cast any light on this...I'm not very happy with it and its still a WiP but there are numerous things that disappoint me. I'm tryin' to actually make the stone work look as if it where covered by dirt and stuff and patchy but for some reason I'm not doing a very good job at it.

Edit 1: Updated the Bridge looks like this is coming along more to what I want.
    Edit 2: Added the northern section of the Entrance, still have some work to do though.
    Edit 3: Updated Northern section of the Entrance and added the Complete Entrance map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entrance.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	798.2 KB 
ID:	14187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entrance2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	883.3 KB 
ID:	14240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EntranceComplete.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	14241  
    Last edited by heathan666; 06-18-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Heathan causes brain tumors, mass hysteria, random acts of violence, road rage, drunken nudity, world peace, 'the munchies', white noise, insanity, cthulu, anal leakage, METAL, presence of extraterrestrial, the freeing of ‘twins’, SNEAK ATTACK!, smoking, alcoholism, unadulterated awesomeness, and GANGSTA.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks fine except for the bright white bevel (might go for something grayer). For some dirt I can use a scatter brush in PS but I don't know if you have that in Gimp. So I'd think about making some general shapes for dirt patches, put some noise on that, blur the edges of the shapes to reduce sharpness, and then give it a color overlay...maybe some clouds for variation as well. But, again, I think it looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love the bridge enough to use it!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good, I'd "dirty" up the bridge a bit, especially since the city has sunken into the earth.

As for vines, check the Dundjinni User Creation forums. Search on vines or for stuff by Kepli (I think).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Is there some kind of fractal tool or something that can put good cracks in those tiles? I think those tiles need more cracks.

Not that I know of, but if there is a fractal tool for Gimp please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by chronoplasm View Post
    Is there some kind of fractal tool or something that can put good cracks in those tiles? I think those tiles need more cracks.
    You could try running a mosaic filter (or something similar) on that layer.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

actually that could work.
    Duplicate the layer, run the mosiac filter (as random as possible).
    Fill in the gaps with either black or white.
    Then create another layer and bucket fill with 50/50 Grey.
    Finally do a bump map of the mosiac layer.
    Then delete mosiac layer and bam.
    Ok that didn't work...however it did give the tiles more texture so tell me what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entrance.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	786.8 KB 
ID:	14155  

I think the problem is the light-colored highlights on the tiles. They still seem a bit bright. Maybe you can do something to 'dull' them down a bit.

Other than that it's looking quite good I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast