Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Brigand's Cavern HQ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yah, those are much better i think.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    I switched the old fire pits for a new design (as suggested by Ascension). I also added a couple more barrels in Room 14 and a gate to the worg pen in Room 6 (wouldn't want the worgs to wander and eat one of the sleeping bandits ). I'm not 100% happy with the background behind the grid legend but I need something for the square to be visible. If I move it and the writing to the grass area, the square is visible but then the writing sort of disappears in the grass. I'll think this one over.
    How about combine it with the compass? I was thinking something like a white square containing the text, but with the compass showing the underlying texture through the shape.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's an idea, Joe. I'll have to see if I can pull it off. In the mean time, I did a few more tweaks (nothing major - just stylistic changes to make the map fit my idea better).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brigand_cavern5.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	14150
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I tried a few things with the grid info (1 square = 5' x 5') and then it hit me... change the text to white and it will stand out from the black cave walls fine. Doh! Why didn't I think of that sooner.

I made several small tweaks to the map. I moved a part of the cave entrance over a bit to better hide it from prying eyes. Now the entrance will only be visible if the viewer is at the correct angle to the cave's entrance (perfect for brigands hiding out). I also added a blood splatter to the title to give it a bit of extra pizazz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brigand_cavern6.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	14154

Next on my agenda is to make a map of the area. Perhaps a Player's Handout showing the brigands HQ and various spots in the local terrain. I'm thinking this is a map that the players can find when they defeat some of the brigands who encounter the Players Characters during a raid. I'll probably throw a few twists into the adventure so the plot won't be so straight forward.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Nice touches! You should give a version without room numbers, of course

Yeah, nice map. You made some great improvements along the way.
    Looks a bit like a classic D&D map to me
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks guys. To be honest, I was making this for my own AD&D campaign so I didn't think of doing one without room numbers but since you mentioned it, I'm sure I could whip one up.
    Cheers,
    Tim

I like how the light seems to emenate from the fires; but why is the area immediately around the fire shadowed? Is that an automated effect? Perhaps adding the flame after you've added the light would get rid of that (you probably tried that already; I'm just pondering aloud). Anyway, cool map. I like it.

I did the glowing ring of light on purpose because I liked how it looked. But I've been thinking about for a while now and do have some plans on changing it. The torches shouldn't have any rings at all and the fire pits' rings will be reduced. The shadow ring represents the shadow given by the rocks that surround the fire. The way the map is now, the distance of the shadow is way off.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12