Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Brigand's Cavern HQ

Wip WIP Brigand's Cavern HQ

This is a cavern base I'm putting together for my AD&D game. A series of brigands call these caves home. The leader of the brigands is a nasty human Fighter named 'Kraggor the Grim' and his comrades in arms are a Half-Ogre Fighter named 'Tharg the Brute' and a female Troll Shaman named 'Golga'. The cannon fodder include 13 human brigands, 12 orcs, 18 goblin worg-riders and 18 worgs. Kraggor has his own massive worg called Bloodhunt.

This is still a work in progress (I plan on adding a legend and probably a few more details & tweaks here & there). The three dark caves at the top left are where the orcs, goblins and worgs are housed. The top right cave belongs to Kraggor. The small cave under it is where his worg sleeps. Tharg has the cave between Kraggor's and the goblin/worh caves. The two caves at the entrance will be for guards and some sort of alarm mechanism (probably a large brass gong). The two small caves at the bottom middle are for prisoners/hostages. The small cave below the prisoners cave is where the troll Golga lives.

Personally, I think the full version looks better than the thumbnail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brigand_cavern.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	14106
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not wild about the fires but, dude, pretty sweet. Snagged a copy anyways.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What about the fires don't you like? Is it the colour of the glow or the stylized symbol itself or something else i haven't thought of?

I've tweaked the map a bit further. I added text to the map and added the straw texture where Kraggor's worg would sleep (Room #8 ). I moved a couple torches around a little bit (very minor tweak) and also dimmed the torches a bit. I also added some barrels to Room 11. The boulders to Rooms 8, 13, 15, 16 act as doors. The boulders to Rooms 15 & 16 are especially heavy so the prisoners cannot move them under their own strength.

Name:	brigand_cavern2.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	14111
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Yoink! I like it a lot. The fire is cool, though maybe a bit out of place? I think it's charming, personally.

The symbol itself, looks like it should be on a 32 Ford. I would like to see something more top down (like a ring of stones with some hot coals in the middle or something like that). No big whoop, man, like I said, I still snagged a copy for myself anyway
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm w/Ascension on the fires, it works for the torches but not for the larger fires themselves.

Regardless of that, it's still good stuff Turgenev. I think the "steps" in particular came out quite nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks guys. I made the fire symbol first and then decided to make torches with it. I liked the way the torches turned out but as for the fire pits - I like the idea of burning coals in a stone circle. I'll have to see what I can whip up.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Oh ya, here's my latest version. I added a simple compass, some more barrels, and fixed a lighting issue that went around the edges of the black layer. Next, I plan on tackling the fire pits.

Name:	brigand_cavern3.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	14141
    Cheers,
    Tim

I switched the old fire pits for a new design (as suggested by Ascension). I also added a couple more barrels in Room 14 and a gate to the worg pen in Room 6 (wouldn't want the worgs to wander and eat one of the sleeping bandits ). I'm not 100% happy with the background behind the grid legend but I need something for the square to be visible. If I move it and the writing to the grass area, the square is visible but then the writing sort of disappears in the grass. I'll think this one over.

Name:	brigand_cavern4.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	14147
    Last edited by Turgenev; 06-13-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Cheers,
    Tim

Lookin good man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast