Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first of my continents

hey guys

I've tried to do what you have advised me to do and heres what i have. I fix the rives so there are a lot more rivers coming down from the mountains and then joining up before they reach the sea. I change the red lettering to white lettering. I left three labels red because they signify special areas. And finally, i added a blur to try and clear some of the unsightly terrain transitions.

I plan to take small "snapshots" of the map to be used in some of my writings. I.e. a map showing the military movements of Quinobelles and the Demoran Empire during the Fourth Age. These snapshots will be cleaner and more detailed. If i detail this map any further the file would be too big to upload. Its 4.5 mb already.

So, what do you think?

-D-

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

In Photoshop when you save it as a .jpg you can adjust the 'quality' of the file it produces.

You'll need to play with a little to find the limit based on your file. The scale ranges from 0 - 12. I've lowered some files as far down as 5 or 6 and still kept reasonable quality to post.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

well I'm an idiot

I forgot to upload the map to my last post

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	14217  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The blending you applied, definitely helped.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like that your nation borders tend to follow rivers and other national terrain. One thing I found particularly helpful when doing that was to duplicate the layer with my rivers, then isolate which ones would be part of the borders. I'd erase the other rivers, then extend the river lines and add new lines for the rest of the borders. Then you can alpha to selection on that layer and grow the selection to make bigger lines if you like, or just apply some blur to fuzzy out the borders, the goal being to make the rivers somewhat visible through the borders, but you still have a border that very accurately follows whatever terrain feature has established that boundary.

And I'm not sure what color would be better, but I must say I'm not in love with the red. Maybe a nice goldenish shade of yellow? A nice shade of purple might work.

All that said, the map has come along very nicely, excellent work.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

thanks for the kind feedback you guys, it helps

i've made some more modifications to my map and I'm pretty much content with it as a whole. I made the colours brighter, because brighter maps appeal to me, and i change the red borders to purple.

I also tried to add marshes around Lobradia, they didn't turn out perfect but so long as you don't zoom in too far they work out fine.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	14396  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12