Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Map

Praise

oh wow that's a lot of rivers! I like it except the one's in the desert (those are supposed to be dunes instead of mountains) I think I'll use quite a bit of this. the only river I absolutely need is the one that pours into the main gulf (right by the big scorpion tail looking penninsula) as that plays a huge partin the story but the rest are very helpful. Thank you so much!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No problem, man, it only took a few minutes. Dunes, yeah, that'd change a lot of stuff in that area. Oh well, you get the idea
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, here it is with rivers. I changed quite a bit and cut all of the rivers off that huge penninsula (I need to make it look more... cliffy... so I'll figure those out later.) I also realized that when using the non-destructive method, it's better to use layer masks for the rivers, now I can edit the rivers without having to redo my mountains Any suggestions on 1) how to make the end of that penninsula look "cliffy", esp those islands? and 2) how to make the outer glow be on the coastline and lakes without cutting off the rivers?

To some earlier questions: I'm using photoshop CS4.
    I made Taiga Region well by using the "jiggle" filter from the eye candy set on both the icey and the sandy parts. this made them sorta interlace, but I also ended up using the smudge tool to pull some sand into areas it looked like it needed it. I think it was also enhanced by the mountains in that area being brown rather than white. (That was an accident, but it looks great, so )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit1.rivers.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	498.8 KB 
ID:	14162  

That is looking very juicy! i don't know what scale your map is at, but the rivers make the scale look large, if you want a smaller scale map, I'd suggest you just make the rivers little lines...adds to the sense of size.

You've got a horizontal line artifact (I'm sure you've seen it) on the north coast. Also I'd suggest bringing down the coast stroke by a smidgen - (if you want the map to look small scale) hopefully it's just a layerstyle adjustment, big strokes suggest an island rather than a continent...unless it is an island of course!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12