View Poll Results: Was this tutorial helpful?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 77.78%
  • No

6 9.52%
  • No because I don't use GIMP

8 12.70%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Mountains in GIMP

Thanks a million Waldronate. This is an incredibly useful tool. I tried to replicate it using Drawplus (a Xara type vector drawing proggie) and posted a request on their BB, but no dice so far except for an approximate fix by making a smaller contour of the object and then feathering the result.

Yep. Like Waldronate says.

In Gimp, what photoshop calls angular is called COnical (and there are two.. your example would be asymmetrical. There si also symmetrical, which uses the gradient over 180 degrees and its mirror on the other half).

I was clear in one or two places, then started to shorthand. The fill for the mountains was "Shaped (Angular)" There is also "Shaped (Spherical)" and "Shaped (Dimpled)". ALl three of these have the gradient painted perpendicular to the selection outline.

A way that mmight work to manually do it in PS (at least in greyscale) would be to determine the maximum distance across the selection (perpendicular) call it D. Start with a black background, set paint to white with an opacity of 1.

Shrink the selection by (D/255) and fill the selection... repeat until no selection left....

Try it as an action....
    -Rob A>

Nice. Very useful now. I've been playing with a little java app that does the distance filter thing. I'll rep you if it lets me.

edit:
    Yay. It let me.

I'd move over to gimp altogether except for three things:
    a)8-bit. I work a lot with 16-bit greyscale. I'd rather have double-precision float, but hey, reality.
    b)Pen support. I can use my pen and tablet with gimp, but I can't get pressure sensitivity to work. This may be an issue with Apple's implementation of X11, but that's what I have...
    c)Photoshop's more sophisticated brush attributes.
    d)I know enough about Photoshop to make it dance. Learning curve is an issue.
    e)Large-window greyscale erode and dilate. Only works on selections and they call it Grow and Shrink or some such, but a radius 3 Shrink is the same as a 7x7 dilate. Gimp only has 3x3 erode and dilate filters. Prettier, ultimately, but slower.

Hmm... I guess that works out to five.
    Last edited by su_liam; 05-30-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Where does one find the "Grungy Brush"?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Crikey! 4,500+ grunge brushes....I only use about a dozen total. Guess it's time to expand my toolbox.

Hey sorry for bumping this, but I have some questions for how you do some of the things....

oh and I found this while searching through the tutorials for how to make mountains, and so far this is most like the type i need to create.

so basically, I keep getting as far as the part where I need to greyscale the copy of the mountain for bump mapping it. Each time I try to greyscale the layer, it keeps happening to the entire image! and then, how do I stretch the contrast from black to white as you said I need to? and what about the "grunge" brush, which brush is it, or how do i get one?

Guild Adept

@bryguy
    Are you using layers? Usually when you are working on a specific layer, it doesn't change the whole image. And if you still have the mountain range selected, it should just apply any changes to the selection anyways. Weird.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast