Thread: Hello

Guild Novice

Post Hello

Hello, everyone.

I do a lot of roleplaying, and have started running some games of my own. I only recently got into making maps for my campaigns (in that I only recently started running a game that needed a detailed map). I have some experience in art but not much, and would like to start making full-color maps (so far I've pretty much used line art). It's a different kind of art project than I've ever done, so I'm still learning the basics.

I have Gimp and Paint.net and am not very happy with either program, but I am still trying to get them to work for me. I can't afford commercial software, however, though I will be checking out some demos in the next few days, so if anyone has any software to recommend, please do.

For my first (real) map I used Sumo Paint, because I did most of the work on a computer where I couldn't install anything, but ran into problems with the fact that I couldn't get "paste" to work so I had to draw every single chair individually... for an entire three-story haunted mansion... By the end of it, some of them didn't even look like chairs anymore

So anyway, I found this site rather randomly by reading another forum where Cartographer's Guild was recommended to someone else. I've read through quite a few of the tutorials and am excited to get to work on coloring my map.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There are some excellent tutorials for the GIMP here, and a bunch of very knowledgeable users of that program (and also some Paint.Net users too). So don't give up on them yet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Welcome Aboard!

There are some excellent tutorials for the GIMP here, and a bunch of very knowledgeable users of that program (and also some Paint.Net users too). So don't give up on them yet.
    Paint.Net is nice for smooth lines and inking, but it just doesn't have some features that I like (such as the smudge tool).

Gimp, I don't like the interface, but I can get over that. What I don't like is the brushes. Granted, I haven't downloaded any brush sets, but I'm used to just being able take what brushes are in front of me and make them do what I want them to do. Gimp doesn't like me playing with brushes. Heck, it doesn't like me *resizing* brushes. So I tend to open Gimp, think, "This isn't so bad. Why didn't I like this?" then I go to mess with the brushes and I think, "Oh, THAT's why," get frustrated, give up. Maybe I'm missing something, but I usually know my way around paint programs. I also don't like that it doesn't seem to like large files. I like high-resolution, large files so I can zoom way in to do detail work, but when I try to open a file like that in Gimp, I get a notice that the file is bigger than the maximum and the program starts going slowly.

Aaaaand those are my complaints.

I suppose if I had any sort of patience I could just switch between programs to do things, but after a few shots of "Draw a few lines in Paint.Net" then "Switch to Gimp to blend them" I get annoyed.