Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inn and Tavern

Guild Apprentice

Map Inn and Tavern

A tavern and inn for weary, hungry, and parched travellers. It was created in CC3 using the CD3 and DD3 addons. No post work in any other program.

C&C are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zedford Tavern and Inn Floor 1.JPG 
Views:	9656 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	14181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zedford Tavern and Inn Floor 2.JPG 
Views:	1772 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	14182  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

They look really nice, though the upper floor is a bit dark and a lot of the detail is lost.

Only little nit-pick I have is I don't see how you get to the second floor, unless it's in the really dark hallway in the middle.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Opposite the privvy is a set of stairs leading down. From the tavern the stairs are in the top of the map just right of center.

I'm not really happy with the upstairs lighting. I can't seem to get it to render with the same level of warmth as the tavern. I still need to rework it a little.
    Last edited by KeithC; 06-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.

The first time I saw this map (on the Profantasy forum) I overlooked the stairs as well.

Anyway, great stuff. Now I can rep you
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

I have to agree about the stairs, but I'm not sure how to make them stand out without going outside of CC3 to do so. While I have access to Adobe and Corel I was trying to remain completely faithful to the CC3 engine.

I can create a new stair .png and import it. If I were to do so, what changes should I make? Since this is topdown and not isometric it's difficult (IMO) to show an elevation change. Should the stairs be wide at the top and narrower at the bottom? It's only a difference of about 10 feet from floor to ceiling so I don't think perspective should be greatly skewed.

I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks again.

There are ways young grasshopper. Open you mind to the full potential of the sheet effects
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Very cryptic suggestion, Daniel-san. You keep holding that pebble out there and I'll be back in a while. Did you have a certain sheet effect in mind? I'm already using quite a few. Blurs, Transparencies, Point Lights, Bevels, Wall Shadow Directional, Drop Shadows.

So here's my quick tuesday afternoon touch-up. I created a new stair way using a wooden pier from the CSUAC collection. I doubled it, reduced it, changed the colors, then gave it a small perspective shift all in PS before importing the .png into CC3 as a symbol.

Inside CC3 I placed it where the old stairs were, then created banister uprights along the stairs. This wasn't enough so I manually added some shadows falling onto the steps and between the steps and wall using the right-most fireplace as the light source.

Has this helped any? Or is this just a more complex version of the map with the same problem? To me, they are obviously stairs because I placed them. However, if they aren't coming through right to observers I need to keep working.

Edit: As a side note... I know the original comments were concerning the stairs on (and access to) the 2nd floor but I work from the ground up so I need to make sure the ground floor is accurate and complete before I move on to fixing the upper floor. It's just the way I do things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zedford Tavern and Inn Floor 1v2.JPG 
Views:	527 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	14186  
    Last edited by KeithC; 06-16-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks great man. I saw the stairs quite easily (I've been known to have a very bright monitor). The only thing that I see is that the rug by the front door isn't going to last a week...all of those teamsters, wagoners, mercenaries, wannabe heroes, and town drunks are gonna drag their muddy boots through that doorway and ruin it. Conversely, there are none on the second floor.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I was at work when I first looked at this and had the trouble seeing the stairs. At home they are much easier to view (i.e. newer, higher quality monitor).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I will show how with a simple sheet effect and a single sheet you can effect a stair.

Start with a new sheet (I usually label it: STAIRS, sneaky I know).

On this sheet I place my.....NOPE! Not Stairs. Didn't see that coming did you

I then draw a think (thickness 0) line at the foot of each step.

Finally, I apply a wall shadow effect to represent a slight shadow where each step would be higher than the next, in effect giving the illusion of individual steps.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast