Thread: Font to use with Sherwood

Question Font to use with Sherwood

I'm looking for suggestions on another font to use on a map that will go well with Sherwood (see attached).

I am thinking a less ornate/lighter/san-serif font for labeling stuff on the map without it getting too cluttered.

TIA-

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sher.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	14027  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Do you want it clean or more written? Also do you want it to have a similar flavor or just for legibility? American Uncial and Gael are nearly an exact match but lighter and one caveat...all caps. Dalelands is ok; light, lower case, slightly comic. DS_Celtic, Dundalk, Gaelach, Kelmscott, Livingstone, Martel, Mouth, Slaine, Stonehenge, and Tolkien Regular are a lil different. Fanjofey and First order are a lil on the written side. Solemnity is more on the quadrata side but not too bad. Some simpler stuff that I find nice: Maiandra (slightly on the comic side), Menuetto (calligraphic side), Pegasus (more modern), Tara Type (more Roman), and Village (kind of techy).
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-09-2009 at 02:46 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm a big fan of Iwona. It and Kurier have great clarity and aren't so over used yet.

Iwona is a two-element sans-serif typeface. It was created as an alternative version of the Kurier typeface by Janusz Marian Nowacki. Kurier was designed for a diploma in typeface design at the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts by Małgorzata Budyta under the supervision of Roman Tomaszewski. The result was presented with other Polish typefaces at the ATypI conference in Warsaw in 1975.

Kurier was intended for linotype typesetting of newspapers and similar periodicals. The design goals included resistance to technological processes destructive to the letter shapes. As a result, amongst others, the typeface distinguishes itself through intra- and extra-letter white spaces as well as ink traps at cross-sections of some elements constituting the characters.

Here's a link:

http://www.e17-stuff.org/content/sho...33f0e53c0985ee

Nothing really replaces doing the legwork yourself though.

dafont.com

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Baker Signet BT has a nice calligraphic look but isn't ornate. I especially like the descenders.

Name:	Baker-Signet-sample.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	14037  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks all-

I did a bit of digging by using identifont to come up with the closest to Sherwood (American Uncial - bang on Ascension!) then using the "find similar fonts" to move around diverging and converging as need be. Seems like a useful technique...

One nice one I don't have is one called "stanza":
    http://www.fontmarketplace.com/font/stanza.aspx#preview

that I think I'll spend the $5 and purchase it as I like the look.

Other than that here is my short list, along with the base font. I'm leaning towards the Gaelic right now...

-Rob A>

Name:	fonts.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	14045