Thread: The Sutherlands and Beyond

Guild Novice

Map The Sutherlands and Beyond

Created in: Campaign Cartographer 3, Photoshop

This piece was several years in the making. Starting with a handdrawn map I've linked here before, one of our enthusiastic LARP (http://solarinc.org) members, Dana Merry, decided that it needed a facelift and worked out several versions of the map in Campaign Cartographer 3. Another one of our players, with access to some more muscular computers than most, took screenshots very close up of very section of the map in order to get the best image quality possible -- the file i was given was over 400 MB. My computer said NO to it, so I finished it on my mom's Mac, redoing the fonts, some of the colors, and adding a few things here and there.

I'm not sure what else we could do to make a better CC3-based map. While I've heard many comments to the effect of "It looks like the map I got with Baldur's Gate," and my sister said, "It looks very 1995". However our members love it and stuff.

We get our maps printed through Spoonflower.com -- I just printed one six feet wide (though we'll see how the quality holds up -- im not holding my breath). However for our members we print up little ones, and I finish them on my sewing machine with bias tape:

So a group effort with a nice finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsmall6x8.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	636.3 KB 
ID:	14148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapwatermark.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	14149  
    Last edited by Elena; 06-13-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Guild Adept

That's awesome. Reminds me of the old Ultima series cloth maps. That's a good thing!

It does indeed look like some old computer maps. This is also one of the better CC3 maps I have seen using standard symbols. Great job.

Thanks for posting and have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

That's a very cool map!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

Yeah thats very cool. Are you saying that you print on cloth or just use the sewing machine to tape up the card bits. Sounds like a cool idea anyway.

Should just point out that if your gonna watermark the big image, you should watermark the little one in the same way or else you can get the PC to remove the bit pics watermark using the little one.

I'll be repping this too.

I love the backstory on the map

Its also a very nice piece of work. Personally, I think fantasy maps benefit from a classic feel... and the 80s counts Excellent job.