Thread: Hello everyone!

Guild Applicant

Post Hello everyone!

Hello to all.

I've been thinking about getting back in to world building for quite some time now. Back in the early to mid nineties I used to love spending my evenings drawing maps and creating mythologies and fantastical cultures to go along with them. In 1995 I turned my attention to script writing and my world building endeavours fell by the wayside. As the years went on my old maps got moved around, crumpled and dirtied. To my great regret just after the turn of the century I threw them away.

As a young lad my parents would take me on holiday to a beautiful seaside town called Swanage in Dorset, England. It was a wonderful place to visit as a youngster. Surrounded by hills and woods, this old quarry town was steeped in tales of pirates and witchcraft. It was there that, as a 13 year old, I bought and read Tolkien's wonderful The Lord of the Rings. How could reading a book like that in a magical place like that not affect me profoundly.

As of this year, some twenty or more years after reading The Lord of the Rings, I now live in Swanage. And now I have the itch to start world building again. This looks like an absolutely fantastic site and I look forward to meeting and chatting with you all. World building is a very niche hobby, so it'll be nice to converse with people with common interests.

emotaku

Blog Entries

Hey there, Swanage is indeed a beautiful place and I know I should go back there sometime. I am slightly north of you but you can see where some of us are and add yourself to the members map if you like. Theres a link in my sig or now its also under the Community menu bar. I am also a Me-Dem'er which is the middle earth digital elevation model-er and were producing a very large and detailed ME map.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hey there, Swanage is indeed a beautiful place and I know I should go back there sometime. I am slightly north of you but you can see where some of us are and add yourself to the members map if you like. Theres a link in my sig or now its also under the Community menu bar. I am also a Me-Dem'er which is the middle earth digital elevation model-er and were producing a very large and detailed ME map.
    Someone on here that knows of and has visited Swanage! What are the odds? Thanks for the welcome, Redrobes. Are most of the members here interested in world building because of their interest in role playing? I've never role played before and don't really know much about it. I'm more interested in world building because of the cathartic and, more importantly, creative aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by emotaku View Post
    Are most of the members here interested in world building because of their interest in role playing? I've never role played before and don't really know much about it. I'm more interested in world building because of the cathartic and, more importantly, creative aspects.
    A large group is in it for roleplaying, yes. There are also a lot of members who are interested in worldbuilding just for the sake of it. Then there's people like me, who are building a world, because they are writing stories/novels. This probably covers the largest groups, but be sure to correct me if I forgot a group...
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 06-20-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had hopes of writing something many years ago and decided to make a map. I didn't like it so I made another one. Six years later I still haven't made one that I'm totally happy with and have pretty much given up hopes of ever writing something. If I did any role-playing I would do my maps more to proper scale for things like VTTs and print but being an artist by trade I just enjoy the process of creating and now make maps just for fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps