Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP for a project...

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I've been modelling in 3d studio since r2.5. Thats before Discreet owned it I think. So my experience with modelling has been pretty wide-range. The majority of that time was spent doing low-polygon models (characters, placeables, monsters, maps/tiles) for Quake 1, 2, 3 and Neverwinter Nights. I've recently made the switch over to high polygon modelling and still rendering focusing primarily on Mental Ray. For example, the logo up top here (and the wallpaper you'll see in the miscellaneous section) was all done in 3d studio with mental ray.

My current job actually has me making 3d models of aircraft cockpits and airframes for flight simulators for the Navy. I'm currently working on a medium detail V-22 Osprey cockpit. I haven't found a reasonable workflow for 3d modelling yet though...I might develop one and build a city map or somethign in 3d studio just to see if I can do it without an insane amount of work...maybe build up a 3d library of buildings or something...I dunno...Vue 6 would surely be helpful. Where'd you get it?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Hmmm... In this picture you can tell that I optimised the picture for overhead view. This is just a test though, as I have not added any other interesting bits to this map yet, just the ground, trees and atmosphere.

With that said, as per request, here you are.

(Levels are slightly adjusted in Photoshop, just to correct a gamma issue any of you may have. )

Sandeman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northwold_ambush_08_perspective_test_836.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	432  

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan
    As for Gamma issues.... I know it may be a little dark, but have you calibrated your display recently? Something that is very important to do, especially if you are working on images.
    Heh!

Yeah - my video card gamma is set for my external monitor. I was on the road using the built in notebook screen which is disturbingly darker...

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I haven't found a reasonable workflow for 3d modelling yet though...I might develop one and build a city map or somethign in 3d studio just to see if I can do it without an insane amount of work...maybe build up a 3d library of buildings or something...I dunno...Vue 6 would surely be helpful. Where'd you get it?
    I know what you mean on that. LOL

Good thing about Vue though is the Ecosystem(tm) is very powerful, whereas you can "populate" your terrain with models of plants and such. (Even imported models). The cool thing about that is you ban drive it with functions and/or bitmapped images. So in the case of the city, it *would* be easier to populate the city by drawing a grayscale representation of where your buldings would be. Then you import it into Vue, apply it to an ecosystem, and there you go, instant city.

I am going to try it out, and I should have a quick example for the morning... LOL

Vue 6 is available here: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_6_ple/

The good news is it is a personal learning edition. I have used vue since almost the beginning (Amiga anyone LOL) So you can try it out to learn, then upgrade your way to the easel version. (89$ US if I remember correctly.) The upgrade to Version 6 was a bit steep, ran almost 400$, (Stupid exchange rate!) but it is well worth it. (Or that is what I tell the wife. LOL)

Sandeman
    Last edited by kalmarjan; 07-09-2007 at 01:46 AM.

So attached here is a working example of what Vue can do. I made a plane, then populated it with a simple model of a house. Then I made a quick JPEG greyscale representation of where the houses should be placed. I even used the same JPEG to drive the mixing of the materials for the ground. So you have streets, and grass.

Now, I know it is not the best, but I could go even further and restrict how the houses are placed, and go even further in detail on that. So this is a quickie example of just what you can accomplish. Even better, with my 1.8Ghz P4, rendered to disk, this took 5 minutes, so that is not so bad.

{edit}Looks like I am having a problem uploading images here, so here is a direct link from my site:

Sandeman
    Last edited by kalmarjan; 07-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12