Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks in Europe - any suggestions

As for the Zoo, notice that Berlin has two. Zoo in West Berlin, which seems rather tightly packed, and Zoologischer Garten in East Berlin, where there's more breathing space between the animals (and thus, farther to walk) - both have their advantages, I suppose, but I do prefer the east one.

Last time I was there, I saw a caretaker actually washing down the trash cans and wiping off the benches because it had been raining. Most of public places I go to in Berlin feel quite clean. Also, nothing like sending your kids off to play in the freshly raked
    sand of a public playground. Sauber (clean in German)

Try to make it down to Freiburg for a taste of medieval German city and the Black Forest. Its beautiful and it really does feel like stepping into another time.

(Of course you might could just keep heading south and spend the rest of your vacation in Florence gorging yourself on delicious food and getting smashed on Brunello)

I've been to Amsterdam a few times but... errr... I don't really remember it. The Van Gogh museum is one of my favorite art museums, but I am not much of an art lover.
    Last edited by msa; 06-19-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

...or you could just go conquer Liechtenstein... you and your wife should be more than enough to take control.

(sometimes I just love being absolutely silly)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

or Andorra!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for all the advice, especially the museum in Berlin - that looks like a must see.

This is our agenda:

(I will erase this map when we return or shortly before we leave.)

I'll be sure to grab Andorra and Monaco as souvenirs if they fit into my travel allowance
    Do you think the "Germany" letters will be close enough to the train to see as we pass?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eurail-Path.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	678.0 KB 
ID:	14260  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-19-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, especially the museum in Berlin - that looks like a must see.

This is our agenda:

(I will erase this map when we return or shortly before we leave.)

I'll be sure to grab Andorra and Monaco as souvenirs if they fit into my travel allowance
    Do you think the "Germany" letters will be close enough to the train to see as we pass?
    I wouldn't mess with Lichtenstein or Monaco. The former has secretive banking institutions, a'la the Swiss, and the second is primarily made up of excessively, ridiculously rich people, many of whom have money hidden in Lichtenstein, who could probably hire someone to sell you into white slavery.

That said, Rothenburg is a fantastic place to visit as well, excellent choice for an additional stop. Also, the Pergamon is just one of the fantastic museums in Berlin, there's an entire island dedicated to them.

I'm a sucker for museums. Whenever I'm in London I always spend basically all my time in the British Museum.
    Last edited by Alecthar; 06-19-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Guild Novice

I would recommend Utrecht and the Hague above Amsterdam, really.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm off the day after tomorrow so I'm pulling the uploaded map jpgs. (Can't have you all following me to shower me with presents or something .)

I'll still be looking in occaisionally on the trip.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Have a good two weeks travelling and have fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast