Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Topographic Map

Here is an updated image. I've done some considerable tweaking to the mountains in the northwest corner and I've begun to play around with painting in forests. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet for the forests, so I am kinda just trying things until I find something I like. I'm not sure about this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-4.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	14486  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Forests look fine to me, the whole thing looks great...very HR.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's my latest work in progress.

Name:	map-5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	14523  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

It's coming along really well! My only very minor crit is that the map lacks contrast. A simple brightness and contrast adjustment layer got me this (hope you don't mind me having a play with your map). The lovely mountain textures 'pop' more.

All depends on the look you're going for though...

best

ravells

Name:	contrast.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	14524  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

<start threadjack>

Hey Ravs, could you (or one of the other awesome dudes here) explain adjustment layers in a tut? I've never used them and don't really understand them. Clipping layers I get, adjustment layers I don't.

<end threadjack>
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My only very minor crit is that the map lacks contrast. A simple brightness and contrast adjustment layer got me this (hope you don't mind me having a play with your map). The lovely mountain textures 'pop' more.
    It is actually kind of intentional that I'm giving the map a kind of "washed out" feel at the moment. Most of the layers I've made like 40 to 60% transparent. The thought is that I intend on putting a lot of detailed information on the map and that it would make it more legible. I can always play with the intensity of the colors to make it 'pop' a little more later on if I feel it doesn't hurt the legibility of the map. That was just my train of thought.

Here is an updated small section of the map and shows the direction i am going with the symbols and whatnot.

Name:	map-3a.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	14561  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Yeah, I started off using it but now I'm kind of going off on my own a little bit. Currently I'm kind of jumping back and forth between photoshop and illustrator. I guess my end goal would be to use HandsomeRob as my inspiration, but to try to do my own thing somewhat.

I also used Waldronate's fractal terrains tutorial and his image climate shader.

My Albums - My Portfolio

Here is an updated image. I have a lot of work to do yet.

Name:	map-3b.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	14650  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Wow... that map is huge Cereth... very cool stuff.
    Are you going to fill the entire map with countries and places of interest?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast