Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: [WIP] Topographic Map

Very Nice!

I made a similar map for a challenge, and it is a lot of work, so kudos!

I didn't read the whole thread, but is there a reason the lat/long lines are orthogonal, rather than the more typical for this style of map (non-equirectangular) projection?

-Rob A>

What patience you have !
    I wonder what software you use for each step: the creation of land with FT Pro? The effects with photoshop? The texts with Illustrator?
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

When I was struggling with memory issues before my rebuild (um, and after, since now i can make stuff BIGGER!) I found it was helpful to do a lot of save-a-copy-with-layers, merge-everything steps. That way the working copy never had more than 7 or 8 layers.
    Mostly I think my memory issues have to do with the large amount of objects on the map (although the size of the map is an issue as well). Also I'm not entirely happy with the quality of the exported jpg's I've been posting as WIPs. Once I get the map finished I plan on playing with the quality settings some to see what I can do about it.

I didn't read the whole thread, but is there a reason the lat/long lines are orthogonal, rather than the more typical for this style of map (non-equirectangular) projection?
    I honestly just found something in Illustrator that made a grid, tried it out, ans was happy enough with the results. I was struggling for a while with finding a way to make more accurate "non-equirectangular" projection lat/long lines. I may revisit this once the rest of the map is done.

I wonder what software you use for each step: the creation of land with FT Pro? The effects with photoshop? The texts with Illustrator?
    That pretty much is exactly how I did it. I started off somewhat following handsomerob's tutorial, but then kinda veered away and tried to do my own thing.

Thanks again for the comments.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

After over four months and countless hours of work I think that I am ready to stick a fork in this project and call it done.

Before posting it under the "finished maps" section I'm going to do some final checking for typographical errors and would appreciate any last minute suggestions.

Thanks much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-final.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	17949  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Blog Entries

My suggestion is you treat yourself to several beers and a well earned pat on the back. Great map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A work to be proud of!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

An epic journey indeed
    Congrats!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

That's awesome. Looks like an atlas map...I kept looking for real placenames. Have some rep.
    M

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456