Thread: [WIP] Topographic Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post [WIP] Topographic Map

Here is a new project I've been working on. I'm pretty new with photoshop still so I'm kinda fumbling my way through it. The terrain itself was generated in Fractal Terrains, and now I'm going through an making the map in photoshop. I'm trying for a style similar to what HandsomeRob makes, but am trying to put my own twist on it.

What I'm going for is a heavily detailed map you'd expect to find in an atlas or history book. I'm still in the process of working on the rivers, which I'm finding is fairly time consuming. I let fractal terrains tell me where to put the rivers and now I'm going in and re-tracing them by hand.

I'm not real sure about the colors and stuff yet. I think I might make the land colors a little lighter and the rivers a little darker. I also plan to go in and paint some of the land features as well (forests, etc) but just wanted to use the fractal terrains generated colors to give myself a base.

Anyways, here is where I am so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-1.jpg 
Views:	1180 
Size:	805.6 KB 
ID:	14236  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio