Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-time lurker saying "hi"

Map Long-time lurker saying "hi"

Hello all! I've been a lurker for some time now and a member for just over a year, though I don't think I've ever posted before a couple of days ago. I've always been impressed with the original artwork put forward by various members, and have even taken inspiration from various maps I found while browsing. I'm an artist and draftsman by trade and draw my maps either by hand or in AutoCAD; I specialize in black-and-white pencil and pen-and-ink. I am particularly adept at manual enlargement and reduction using the grid method, though I'm beginning to get into digital editing and modification that should make that less necessary. I'm also hoping to expand my work into color this way.
    I'm including a few samples of my work; some of you may recognize a map or two from my prior posts on the EN World forums. Fantasy settings are my favorite, followed closely by science-fiction though I have been known to draw maps, structures and vehicles for just about every genre at one time or another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree style sample.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	14230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mhanaeoch miniature print.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	14231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Temple gr flr.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	14232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle ground floor.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	14233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cargo ship scan.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	14234  

Blog Entries

How come you lurked for so long - these are amazing. If I didn't know you were a draftsman by trade then I would have guessed. The attention to detail with wall thickness and just general sensibility of the maps comes right through. Love the gatehouse with double portcullises and little chamber for the guard. Most people like me just skim over these things.

I doubt many here have AutoCAD but it has been mentioned a few times. I use a little app CadStd for doing any DXF work - which is pretty rare but the app is free and easy to use but no doubt lacks a hundred options that AutoCAD gives.

Anyway - nice stuff - will rep.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, these are awesome. Your structures and hovercraft? are superb, your background really shines there. I can't wait until you get just as good with adding color....mmmm, yummy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good to see you back Psyekl. While you are here on a postfest, you may want to show the folks Diodet (or at least what copyright will allow of it), the Smuggler's City, and the Dwarven Keep. The Dwarven Keep was one of the most amazing dungeons I have seen. Did you ever do anything beyond the single sketch you posted on Enworld (where I'm known as Sunaj2k3)?

Oh, did that book idea go anywhere? Last I knew you were disappointed by the feedback, but with the right kind of maps, I think you could do really well. Did you ever look at Lulu or releasing it as a pdf?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Welcome aboard Psyelk,
    Your maps are amazingly beautiful!

As I'm also a draftman, using Autocad/ Inventor/ SolidWorks for many years now, i recognize pretty well the style with your castle map. Very well done!
    Can't wait to see more

I love the architectural pieces! I always try to think outside of a letter sized page but sometimes you build all the pieces in isolation and they don't quite fit together.

I love the larger building layouts!

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-19-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

Got Autocad, studied with it, played a bit with it, but never really worked with it. Tried to do some maps in it but didn't have the patience to see anything through. Def. would have loved to have brought it to your level, but oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

You have my admiration and envy for these. Repped.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Map

Thank you for all the kind words! I was going to get a book together, but because my floorplans do not stick to a grid I got a lot of negative feedback as far as their usefulness, so I scrapped the idea. Lately I've been looking into Chaosium and have decided to apply as an artist once my portfolio is updated. They also offer to publish what they call "Monographs" from independent authors and I've been considering putting one together.
    As requested I'm posting a few more samples, just portions of the works that fit on the scanner. I'll post the completed pieces with my portfolio when I get it online. The caverns are from an old D&D game I ran. The city of Diodet was completed back in '98 for a gaming company called "Maelstrom Storytelling" along with a few other drawings that ended up in their second book. The Dwarven keep (drawn in AutoCAD) is just the forecastle of an entire Dwarven citadel that I need to complete someday. The hand-drawn house is from a Call of Cthulhu game I GM'd, and the Peninsula city is just a generic map I made to put in my portfolio.
    I got my degree in CAD in the early '90s and have become quite proficient at it, though I wish I had learned how to use Photoshop a long time ago. Now I'm playing catch-up with learning the editing software to improve my hand-drawn work. Due to the technical "sterile" precision of AutoCAD, I prefer to draw my fantasy floorplans by hand whenever practical (Though none have been posted here), I find AutoCAD fits best (for me) with drawing Modern or Futuristic plans.

Name:	Caverns of Igthal.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	14247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diodet.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	14248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwarven Keep.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	14249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	14250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peninsula City.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	414.6 KB 
ID:	14251  

Map

As requested, this is the Smuggler's city. I completed this a while back, it's intended to be a safe haven for smugglers and pirates located in the vast interior of an extinct volcanic island. I've always liked illustrated treasure maps that are loaded with clues and hints and this was my attempt at creating one.

Name:	Smuggler's City.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	14252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treasure Map.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	14253  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Fantastic stuff... I'll just add to your growing rep total *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast