If you haven't seen my post in the introduction thread, I've been a member for some time now but I'm just beginning to post, so here ya go! I'm always looking to improve, so comments and criticism are welcome.
Since the majority of my work is made for publication or sale I can't post complete drawings, and many are just samples of what fits on the scanner, but I think they give a good example of my work.
1. (AutoCAD) This is the ground floor of a large temple complex intended for a larger city. I got the idea while perusing a book on the architecture of cathedrals.
2. (AutoCAD) A castle's ground floor. A large church/temple dominates the floorplan. I created this castle as more of a fortified manor than an entirely defensive structure.
3. (Pen and ink) This is the front elevation of a Victorian-style house designed for a horror game.
4. (Pen and ink) One of my older drawings, I created this hut built against a low cliff that gives a false impression of size. When the players enter they find that the small hut extends back and down into rough-hewn chambers
5. (Pen and ink) The ground floor of a great hall.
Welcome to the Guild. Those are some fine, fine maps!
so psyeki said it would be alright if i did some colouring for some of his maps...
i sent him a note saying how awesome i thought his maps were, but for my brain, it is hard to translate the black and white line art into walls and halls and such...
so here are my preliminary colours on a few of his maps i was drawn to... a cathedral and castle... likely there is more work to be done...
i am particularly interested in psyeki's responses and if i coloured an area wrong - or perhaps if he has more feedback on the nature of some of the rooms or symbols he has used.
everyone else's comments and suggestions are of course welcome too...
nice coloring job phil (especially the first one), the scheme works well with out losing any of the wonderful detail of the original.
My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.
Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Thanks Steel General...
The second one is more of an in-progress colouring job -- but i thought it would be good to hear from psyeki as to whether i have got the difference between the grassy grounds and the floors of the cathedral right...
i found the layouts gorgeous, but i am not sure if i can read them right or if i have guessed wrong as to what is interior, and what is exterior...
I can see some areas that are colored as Interior that I believe 'SHOULD' be exterior.
As to how to read the 'maps', using the right map, the Dashed Lines represent Arches, Flying butresses, etc.
The Crossed Dashed lines (like a big X) represent Ribbed Vaults:
If you can find the book, a great little book for mapping is:
Complete Architecture Handbook
As I stated before, the maps were not complete, and I will add all of the required detail on the final version, though I do intend to keep my version in black and white. The company where I'm seeking an artist's position has made clear that they want maps in black and white only, no color or grayscale.
Check out my works at http://psyekl.deviantart.com/gallery/#
"Peace is bore on the backs of violent men."
"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
"Stupid is a condition, ignorance is a choice."
Good to see you back on the forum! Your work is amazing. Don't be a stranger.