Thread: Hello there.

Post Hello there.

Hi everyone,

I recently registered here, and made my first post today.

Who am I?

I'm a 32 year old guy from Northern Germany, now living in Vienna, Austria, working as an accountant.

I got interested in maps since, well, I can't remember really. I recall loving two atlases my dad has when I was a kid. One of them had a beautiful design that I haven't seen anywhere since. The land areas were all greyish white, with broad colourful borders for countries and a greyish shaded relied for mountains.

I also loved the maps in the two volume Reader's Digest's World History that we had. So I drew my own maps/military campaigns soon enough. When I was about 13 I read Lord of the Rings and the Lone Wolf gamebooks. I loved those maps and especially the ones in Lone Wolf with their beautiful borders and colors. That's when I decided to write a fantasy novel at some point and drew more maps. Actually, the fantasy novel is, 20 years later, still a plan. The computer game Starflight caught my interest, too, and at one point I mapped out a whole sector for a story idea, using dice to determine ecosphere/species/culture/tech level/economy etc. for the planets.

Later, due to real life constraints (job, mostly), I lost track of this. It's only when I moved to Vienna that I returned my interest to planning to write creating worlds.

I'm mostly using Campaign Cartographer these days. I create maps for myself at this point, and the features the software and its expansions/annuals come with give me enough to do (I mostly use the Mercator styleset, handdrawn or black/white maps; and I greatly look forward to the August annual that covers Napoleonic battle maps) to make lands, cities, dungeons or spaceships. I attach as an example a WIP of a Mercator style map for a steampunkish/Lovecraftian story I'm working on that's partly set on Venus.

What do I do beside mapping?

I like movies (mostly classics, but also newer stuff; no romantic comedies/"blockbuster" movies for me - with a few exceptions), history (most my reading these days is non-fiction), music (nearly everything from metal through Sinatra to classical) and a few other things.

I can't say yet how active I'll be on this board, but I'll most likely stick around if only to read the friendly posts and tutorials here; plus the challenges may push me a bit to try/learn new things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Settlements of VenusSmall.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	14300  

Guild Applicant

Hi Syt, and welcome.

I'm a new member myself. I like your map, although I have to say I'm one of those old fashioned cartographers. I prefer to use good old fashioned pen and paper, but I wish you all the best in creating your world.

Actually, am I a part of a dying breed? How many people here draw their maps without the use of a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by emotaku View Post
    Hi Syt, and welcome.

I'm a new member myself. I like your map, although I have to say I'm one of those old fashioned cartographers. I prefer to use good old fashioned pen and paper, but I wish you all the best in creating your world.

Actually, am I a part of a dying breed? How many people here draw their maps without the use of a computer?
    Welcome to the guild, Syt, good to have you with us. I'm not particularly familiar with CC3, but I do like the look you've put together in that map. It might be worth your while to browse Ascensions tutorial on making Antique maps in Photoshop. I assume the technical aspects will be relatively useless, but the tutorial map has a very similar look, so you may find something that you'd like to try to emulate for your map.

emotaku, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised if you take a look at some of the work being done on these boards. Many of our most impressive map-makers incorporate many hand-drawn elements into their maps. I'll grant you that some forgo the traditional pen and paper approach, preferring instead to use tools like tablets, but I don't think the breed is dying.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Welcome and yeah there are quite a few pen guys here tho I am not one. Torstan in a big tablet mapper and Delgondantelieus (or some similar spelling) had a big tut about using various pens and inks etc. Real good read - find it in the tuts section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, everyone.

I used to draw maps by hand, but quite honestly - my artistic talent beyond coasts, mountains and small towns is rather limited .... and it's so much easier to make corrections on the screen. I also love to use the computer software for quickly visualizing a place that's in my head. More than once I realized, when mapping out a ship's deck or a building that I used in a short story or some such, that I had forgotten a few details or totall misjudged the diomensions a lot.

That being said, I do prefer hand drawn maps, aesthetically. I have a few books with wonderfully crafted maps of the past century, and while computer products can come close they'll never quite be the same.

Alecthar, I did some checking yesterday and it was interesting - I use an old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 for "post production" and a number of functions work similarly.
    Last edited by Syt; 06-21-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Woohoo! A mapper from Vienna... well, "zuagrast" but anyway

Welcome and have fun!

(zuagrast: Moved from somewhere else to the town)
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Thank you! I'm told, though, that I manage to fake a convincing Austrian accent. "You're from Germany? One doesn't hear at all!"

I leave it to you whether or not that's a compliment.