Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Longhaul

The shadows alone have given your hills a great deal more pop, and has also served to break up your green. Very nice. I am a bit saddened by your cuts (the northern houses and the bridge) but you must be the one you are aiming to please.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Guild Apprentice

Tutorial Cliff Instructions for CC/CD3

Sheet Effects
    Bevel
    Length 50
    Strength 20
    Invert Colors 1
    Fade 5

Blur
    Radius 35
    Bevel
    Length 50
    Strength 40
    Invert Colors 1
    Fade 3
    Blur
    Radius 30
    Bevel
    Length 50
    Strength 50
    Invert Colors 1
    Fade 0
    Blur
    Radius 30
    Bevel
    Length 50
    Strength 75
    Invert Colors 1
    Fade 0
    Blur
    Radius 40
    Bevel
    Length 20
    Strength 40
    Invert Colors 1
    Fade 5
    Blur
    Radius 20
    Adjust Hue/Saturation
    Hue 0
    Saturation -25
    Lightness 0
    Last edited by KeithC; 06-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks, will definitely be trying it out in the near future.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Update.

I've redone this map a few times now and I keep running into the same problem, too many buildings. The original concept for this "village" was to be a very loose collection of buildings built in a hilly area with a small creek that provides fresh drinking water and little else.

So at this point I'm keeping the hills and scratching everything else. I will post another pic if I get this to look anything like what I've got in my head. A map that should be very easy to create is really frustrating me this time around.

Thanks for the help so far.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I have that same problem...the easy and simple stuff is the hardest for me to get right.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I can't make a comment without asking questions about your preferred level of abstraction.

The tops of the hills could have rocks. Rocks in general would break up the field of green.

Fields could go on the map. (In an isolated settlement there is no replacement for the harvest.)

Your towns seem equal in wealth so far as the building size, design and upkeep go. More variation might please the eye but might be completely improper. If you introduce differences they should be real not just window dressing.

There are no wasted\abandoned or ruined sections - maybe they are there but not important.

No churches? No Guilds? No government buildings? No implied relationships between the houses?

All of these are questions but they may be irrelevant if they are outside the aims of the map.

Its a good map.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12