Thread: Town Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Town Map

About time I actually post a map, eh?

Here is a map I created in Photoshop recently. It was for a project where I was converting an existing map from a PDF adventure into something prettier that can be used in my Battlegrounds virtual tabletop program.

Below my re-imagined version is the original map from the PDF. Unfortunately, this is just a low resolution sample. The full-size version is only available in the free Battlegrounds adventure.

I learned a lot of new tricks while working on this project. For example, even though I've been using Photoshop for many many years, I'd never learned about adjustment layers or layer masks. Go figure!

A funny aside: those are actually supposed to be hedges around the town, but I misread them as irrigation ditches (hence the three small bridges I added). I only learned that they were supposed to be hedges after the map was finished. Fortunately, this change had no impact on the adventure itself, and IMO it makes sense to have irrigation ditches, seeing as how this is supposed to be primarily a farming community.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenby_original_211.png 
Views:	575 
Size:	816.5 KB 
ID:	428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenby_map_preview_129.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	429  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

And here is a small close-up of one corner of the map, to give you all a better idea of how it looks at actual size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenby_close_up_137.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	430  
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Professional Artist

Post Re: Town Map

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by heruca
    I learned a lot of new tricks while working on this project. For example, even though I've been using Photoshop for many many years, I'd never learned about adjustment layers or layer masks. Go figure!
    They're very handy! I use 'em for just about everything. (Vector masks are fun too.)
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Very nice, but you seem to have forgotten something very important...

The link to the adventure!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Give MapForge a try.

Very nice work, I agree with you about the irrigation ditches. Or maybe they want to keep those hedges really nice rather than let folks trounce over them

Nice work. I especially like the layout of the entire area in the map!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Journeyer

I know its thread necromancy, but I decided to go through all the old maps too see what I missed before I joined the site, and loved this map, so to help me find it again later for reference I am bumping it up the list a bit, hope nobody minds letting this map see the light again!

Nevermind, the finished thread has the secret.

My turn to play necromancer:

What was the secret to the fields? I've been struggling with creating fields for months now!
    Last edited by SaintSinner; 11-04-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Follow the white rabbit, Neo.