Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July Entry: Kellingtown Ruins

Wip June/July Entry: Kellingtown Ruins

Now, I know I may be stretching the definition of the challenge's task. But I thought, "Why not an abandoned city set in the future?"

I played the Fallout games, and having enjoyed the last one (yes, I liked FO3; sue me ) and recently having read The Road I went on to create a survivalist's map of the town I grew up in.

The map was created using CC3 with the Early Modern City Map template that I used to trace the road net of Kellinghusen (or Kellingtown as it was known to the GIs stationed there).

Instead of major finds (as the original cartographer said - there were none) I included three of the town's landmark buildings as details and means of orientation. Kind of like the surveyor maps we had in the military had sketches of landmarks on their back to allow orientation in the field.

I inserted PNGs of those landmarks into the map and drew over them to create a somewhat handdrawn feel.

Finally, I added map comments from three different persons to give the map a bit of history.

What's left? Adding effects and filters, mostly, because the map looks way too crisp for its supposed age, but I'll save that for during the coming week.

In the meantime I'd welcome any and all comments, constructive criticisms and suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kellingtown.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	14330  

Really nice map/ I like this one alot. Great concept and originality. I really like the idea of the pdfs showing the landmarks. I cant wait to see the final product.

Never could have guessed that this map was created with CC3! Really nice job... can't rep you at the moment unfortunately. Cool stuff!

I loved Fallout 3 as well and The Road was awesome... the movie is coming out in october
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks, guys. Work permitting, I hope to have this done by the end of the week. I have done a couple aging/parchment/stains tutorials for CC and PSP; I will see what I've learned.

Blog Entries

Nice map and a string runner no doubt. Good luck with it.

This is really impressive work. This is probably my favorite map I've ever seen made in CC3. When you finish aging and staining this I'll be hard pressed to make my entry measure up.

I'd rep you, but apparently I've gotta spread some around.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Stop it, you guys are making me blush.

I've added textures, stains and burns, but I'm not yet happy with the folding lines. I looked at the tutorial for folded parchment, but I tried to achieve a similar effect with adding a sheet of foldlines in CC3 and adding some effects. It might work, but even at 0.25 the lines are way too thick. I'll need to work on that some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kellingtown2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	14415  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, that looks cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks. I notice that the map looks a lot darker on the monitor screen at work than it does on my screen at home, so I'll have to brighten it up a bit (most of that darkness comes from the texture which I had to crank up a lot to show nicely). I think the displacement effect based on the same texture works pretty well.

This all is still done completely within CC3 (with the exception of replacing the texture on the burnt out edges with white in PSP).

I will re-work the fold lines, maybe also add a few water stains along the folds.

Help Fold lines

Syt.

I see your having trouble with fold lines. I have taken the liberty of posting some in the mapping elements section. You may or may not find these usefull...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast