Thread: September Issue of Analog - Geomythology

Post September Issue of Analog - Geomythology

For those interested in this sort of thing, there is a nice little article in the September issue of Analog about the field of Geomythology. For those that don't know, Geomythology is a growing "science" that is starting to show evidence of major geological events that coincide with local folktales, fables and the like. One great example that is included deals with Homer's tale of the fall of Troy. They also cite an old Native American tale from here in the Northwest and how it relates to volcanic and venting activity of Mt Hood, Mt St. Helens and Mt Adams.

I haven't checked the Analog web-site yet, by if you're interested in reading the article, you might be able to find it there. And, of course, there is always the option of just picking up a copy of the magazine. I thought, though, that it might be good for those of us who like to develop mythologies and folklore for our worlds.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sounds sort of like how they are finding evidence of a real great flood that happened long ago and was incorporated into the Gilgamesh legend and then adapted into the Noah story. Who knew that magazines existed for such stuff? Coolness.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Heh. The article talks about the great flood as well. It also goes into a few others, such as Atlantis, the Orphan Tsunami, the Walls of Jericho and some lesser known events as well. Analog is one of my favorite mags, along with Asimov's and Fantasy & Science Fiction. But both Analog and Asimov's tend to have science fact articles besides stories.

What really caught my attention about the article was the concept behind Geomythology and the fact that, when building up a campaign setting, I tend to find both a mythological explanation behind such events as well as a reasonably sound scientific explanation. And then it occurred to me that others might take the same approach so I thought I'd share the article.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges