Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Draft of Ilaros

Wip A Draft of Ilaros

This map is a recent iteration of a map I've been working on for some time. It started as part of a collaborative world-building project that sort of disintegrated. However, I put a lot of effort into my region of the world, so I kept at it and began to develop a whole world around it. Any way, I have gotten a fair way though the physical map. I'm fairly happy with the overall shape of the land mass and some of the terrain, but any input on the map would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilaros draft.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	13980  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Ascension, very nice so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the kind comments.

--

I am a bit blah about the mountains both in terms of appearance and some of the placement. However, I can't seem to put my finger on what is "off" with the positioning.

Also, the smallish desert in the south east along the coast, I am not sure it is a logical place for a desert.

To be honest, I think this map is really kickass, both in shape and mountains and all that.

But yeah the desert seems kind of off-ish.

I think I read somewhere that mountainranges tend to have lush terrain on one side, and arid terrain on the other. Don't know if this is correct, though.

edit: One thing I'm curious about, how did you get those cliffsides?

I think I'll remove the spurious desert.

--

As to the cliffs, that I did with a simple bevel and a scattered brush (I modified the azalea brush in the special effect brushes in Photoshop)

I've removed the desert, and added some of the vegetative terrain (forests, wetlands and the like).

These are by no means done and are fairly rough.

--

It occurs to me that some slight information about this place might be useful; especially the position of Ilaros on the globe.

Ilaros is located in the southern hemisphere, with the northern portion being equatorial and the southern portion ranging into the cool temperate regions. The coasts of the southern and central regions are fairly heavily populated by a variety of peoples, many of which are engaged in extensive maritime trade. I like the idea of a strong maritime focus which is, in part, why there are so many islands lurking about. That and islands are just fun to draw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilaros draft.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	14081  

The map is becoming more and more kickarse .

Looking very nice indeed! The lines of the mountains remind me of Clercon's work on this thread.

In terms of suggestions, perhaps some noise or texture in the desert area (although I guess that's probably on your to do list already). The mountains look great at a distance but a touch blurry close up, the general formation and lines look fab though.

I really like the forest texture. Keep going, this is going to be a great map when it's done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast