Thread: "Industry Professionals"

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Post "Industry Professionals"

I was just looking through some of the fine examples in this site, and a question came to mind, especially after reading about Butch's work.

How is it that one becomes "an industry pro"? How did you approach and/or win a contract with a gaming company?

I currently work for redesigning the GUI interface for Fantasy Grounds with a company called Digital Adventures, and I would love to spend some time making quality maps for a gaming company for sure.

I do have samples of my work, and was wondering if anyone had insight as to how to proceed with my portfolio.

Cheers,

Sandeman

I assume it's like any other industry. You start out doing small stuff, often for free or a ridiculously low fee, and you slowly work your way up to the bigger companies and contracts once you start to establish a sizeable portfolio and some sort of a reputation.

Some companies, like SJ Games, have writer's and artist's submission guidelines available for download that may help a new person break in.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

That's pretty much it. I started by submitting some illustrations to a start-up company. They liked it and hired me. It's been pretty much up from there, (though there have been some downs too.)
    My two biggest pieces of advice:
    Maintain a portfolio. Show lots of styles and list clients you have worked with. Keep it updated. The variety of styles may net you jobs with people who otherwise would only have seen your favorite or published styles, not realizing you can do different types of work. The list of clients shows that you have a professional history and will actually produce as contracted.

Which brings me to the second point:
    Produce what you agree to, when you agree to. Clients want results more than anything else. If you have a deadline, treat it like iron. No excuses. If you have a professional attitude, others will treat you professionally.
    (Note: the above was not intended as an excuse to produce half-done or slipshod work. Never do this either. A professional produces good work, on time, every time.)

FInally, a note of reality:
    This is a niche industry. Have other sources of income. You will not get rich or even comfortable here. You certainly won't build a retirement.