Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June Entry: Pocket Island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip June Entry: Pocket Island

A Wizard's Pocket Island.

An enchanted item (hollow glass ball) that acts as a wizards sanctum - "a deserted island somewhere under the Carribean sun". It can be accessed only by the wizard by activating the item with a spell (Magic words: "I Need a Vacation!"). When used, the wizard and the sanctum are transported into a small pocket universe, and to the outsiders, vanish with a small puffy cloud of smoke.

Quite simple, isn't it ? Just don't shake it too much.. or you might find your cabin washed into the sea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket-island.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	14438  
    Last edited by Jykke; 06-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Hmmm.. It's still missing something.. maybe some clouds? Will get back to it.

Looks good.

I think it would be more powerful if the bubble was more distinct from the background and there was more of interest on the island.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Yeah, have to admit that. Maybe I'll think of something and add some details, like a tower, another island and maybe a rope bridge connecting them. But here's a picture with the clouds I mentioned.

Name:	pocket-island2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	547.5 KB 
ID:	14441  
    Last edited by Jykke; 06-25-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Looks cool, what are you using to make the image?

Two issues I see with it.

1. Your waves, you seem to have waves upon waves, the small ripples look fine, but the large waves suggest that your little island is often crushed under several hundred tonnes of the wet. The water itself really should make a plane with small waves on that.

2. Your island seems to float in the water, I would expect to see sand at the bottom of the sphere, not water.

update.

and for who asked about it, it's done with vue.

Name:	pocket-island3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	646.6 KB 
ID:	14454  
    Last edited by Jykke; 06-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like this alot. I especially like that the weather will always be perfect since it's enclosed within that globe...no bugs either. Cool stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension! A closed ecosystem has it's benefits I was planning to add a pier to the main island.. + some fish to the sea. The pier worked out just fine, but the fish seem to be quite distorted because of the the refractions etc.. so not sure if I'm going to implement them on the next version or not.
    Last edited by Jykke; 06-25-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Another updated version.

###Latest WIP###

Name:	pocket-island5.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	14461  
    Last edited by Jykke; 06-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Post You need a top down view too.

Great 3D art, but I think you ought to create a topdown render of the islets, so one could use it more like a map. Then place your 3D illustration, beside the mapped isles, and perhaps a text description of the item and usage below the 3D illustration to complete this.

Right now it looks like a cool 3D illustration, but not really a map.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast