Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Well, I guess its time to start showing work off

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The only comment I might really have would be that the text is a bit fuzzy. I understand you scaled it up some though.. what was the process you used for scaling? Does your machine have enough oomph to keep the lext layers unrasterized before scaling?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I am new here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt really but it keeps striking me that the 'texture' of each continent is the same. I figure its all the same bump map so this is not supriseing but it keeps makeing me think 'when I do a map like this, different bumpmaps for each continent...' Just a thought really. You could go back make a mask for each one and then bump them up or down or something to give it a less uniform feel. This is just my personal thoughts on it though and as I said I am new to all of this mapping stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    The only comment I might really have would be that the text is a bit fuzzy. I understand you scaled it up some though.. what was the process you used for scaling? Does your machine have enough oomph to keep the lext layers unrasterized before scaling?
    I actually intend to redo those layers pretty soon, so they'll clean up once that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
    I am new here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt really but it keeps striking me that the 'texture' of each continent is the same. I figure its all the same bump map so this is not supriseing but it keeps makeing me think 'when I do a map like this, different bumpmaps for each continent...' Just a thought really. You could go back make a mask for each one and then bump them up or down or something to give it a less uniform feel. This is just my personal thoughts on it though and as I said I am new to all of this mapping stuff.
    That's an interesting idea... and not one anybody'd really mentioned... I'm not really planning on redoing things at that level for this map, but it would be interesting in others...

Now since I'm trying to decide how to handle continents... I know that each one of them (by the nature of the beast) will end up with a different bump map anyway...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Okay, text re done... I'd left the paths for the continent and water text in the original xcf... and they scaled way better then the layer with all the text in it did... (not really sure why)

It looks pretty clear to me, but if people still think it's fuzzy, I suppose I could re-do it from scratch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krennawlarge.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	15985  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Text looks good to me, as does the rest of the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

And with a Steel General stamp of approval... I declare this map finished!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234