Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, I guess its time to start showing work off

Map Well, I guess its time to start showing work off

Here's my most recent attempt at a world map for the campaign setting I'm making... No one person's tutorials have been quite what I wanted, but RobA's and Assencion's have helped quite a bit...

The land/water areas are from a random generation in terraj... with one or two pieces moved to make a bit more since with my existing setting material...

I've gotta get back to other things for now, but I plan on dividing coutries out and finishing the labeling over this and next week... So I can a have it ready when I leave town on the 6th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krenna.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	676.3 KB 
ID:	14452  
    Last edited by Notsonoble; 08-18-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: updating front image and declaring done...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

well the shelf thing wasn't working out... and I forgot to reset the offset on the grid... also here's one with some of the rivers and the rough step of tagging off the countries...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krenna.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	827.3 KB 
ID:	14458  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

I feel like your poles could do with a little of the jaggy treatment, dirty 'em up a bit, but otherwise I'm very impressed. Have you added mountains yet?
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

The poles are kinda afterthought-ed right now... if you notice wrapping them right now would do silly things... I intend to get back to them... could you give some idea of what you mean by dirty-ing them up?

A few, but some of the boarders hide them in the second image... Scale is kinda kicking me in the face... to give the world a realistic diameter, I ended up with 100sq mi pixels o_O...

This is also why the few rivers on it are extremely subdued... because dozens of 10 mile wide rivers is just craziness...
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely... my only nit pick is that weird patterning that GIMP sometimes does.

If I'm not mistaken RobA came up with a way to pretty much get rid of it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This is coming along nicely... my only nit pick is that weird patterning that GIMP sometimes does.

If I'm not mistaken RobA came up with a way to pretty much get rid of it.
    Which weird patterning, I've been using a lot of RobA's regional map and simple mountains tutorial (with some other tutorials mixed in) because there's not a good "world sized" tutorial for GIMP...
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I believe it's caused by the bump-mapping - it almost looks like there's a grid on the map. It's hard to explain since I don't use GIMP any more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

umm... there is a grid on the map...?
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What he's referring to is the plasma cloud that Gimp uses...it has a lot of horizontal and vertical tendencies and some 45 degree angle ones as well. They aren't lines but more like creases.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ah, yeah I see now, if RobA's found a way to increase the randomness I haven't found his posts about it yet... I followed his grass and grass bumps bits pretty much to the letter... but I actually intend on reducing the opacity of that particular layer closer to the end... or maybe making small adjustments to it or some such... it's really handy for laying down rivers right now...
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast