Thread: mystery islands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip mystery islands

I did this trying to work out some new mountains techniques, pretty happy with that and pretty close to what I want (just about the best I can do without 3d software). Then I decided that I could throw something in the middle and have it come close to meeting the reqs for the lite challenge. Not entering this in the challenge but it was fun to play around with anyway.

Something's down there -- not sure what. Maybe someone should go look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery islands.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	14426  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the whirpool-like thingy!

It could almost have some back story like the spirits of the Land and Sea are in a constant struggle, with the sea spirit trying to suck the land 'down into the depths' white the land spirit does its best to resist. Hence the circular pattern of the 'islands'. *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmmmm, indeed. Perhaps it is some ancient sunken city?

Perhaps one which goes by the name of R'yleh?
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

Wow - I am very interested in those mountains; or at very least the techniques you used.
    City of Opal Island Map (Featured Map Winner...yay!): http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5966
    Various maps from my Homebrew Game: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5407
    Unless I explicitly state otherwise you have my permission to use my maps in any capacity needed just give me credit. If you make money off them somehow, that's awesome - let me know! In fact, I LOVE to hear about the ways maps I make are used.

I'd love to hear about those mountain techniques. They look great!

-asp

yep, great map
    I love the dark style and he hole thing in the center n.n

Oh man, I guess island chains situated around strangely perfect circles with sunken cities at the bottom aren't as original as I thought. And I thought I was on to something

Anyways awesome map, as always.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's just my lil homage to a certain, uh, interesting group of islands in the Mediterranean that may, or may not, be home to a certain fabled city. Of course my islands look nothing like Santorini but oh well I'm just messing around with mtn techniques.

For tonight I've been mostly experimenting on the mtns (about 6 hours) but eventually just threw my hands in the air and gave up. So I added some more texture to the land and some minor coastal tweaks...nothing post-worthy. Next up I really want to do something about my horrid Atlantis rings and then I'll do the rivers, towns and such.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It's just my lil homage to a certain, uh, interesting group of islands in the Mediterranean that may, or may not, be home to a certain fabled city. Of course my islands look nothing like Santorini but oh well I'm just messing around with mtn techniques.

For tonight I've been mostly experimenting on the mtns (about 6 hours) but eventually just threw my hands in the air and gave up. So I added some more texture to the land and some minor coastal tweaks...nothing post-worthy. Next up I really want to do something about my horrid Atlantis rings and then I'll do the rivers, towns and such.
    Wasn't that a volcanic explosion that ripped out that section of the island?

Though I supposed that could indeed be the origin of Atlantis stories, given that the resulting tidal wave was supposed to have utterly annihilated Minoan civilization.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."