Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formula D test track

Quote Originally Posted by armoredgear7 View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure Inkscape has something similar to Illustrator's "offset path" command, but since I don't use Inkscape I can't say for sure.
    Pretty easy, I think. Here was a 5 minute test in Inkscape, with a random bezier to start (using straight segments and arc section would probably improve things).

I duplicated and offset the bezier, once inwards and once outwards. Combined them into one bezier and made a copy, then set the stroke width of the duplicate to the same amount I had offset them. Turned the stroke to a path, and set it to a grey fill with a black stroke. I drew the two parallel lines (the same size as the track width) and used that as the pattern with the pattern to path effect (using the previous copy that was made of the thin paths):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track.png 
Views:	427 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	14585

A bit more care and attention, but it is a good start, IMOO.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Pretty easy, I think. Here was a 5 minute test in Inkscape, with a random bezier to start (using straight segments and arc section would probably improve things).

A bit more care and attention, but it is a good start, IMOO.

-Rob A>
    I drew my layout by cutting together circles and straight lines. I drew in the circles first and then used a copy of them to make guides, so that I would have the centerpoint. My first try looked a lot like yours - the main issue I had with it was that the squares don't line properly on the straights. Getting this alignment took some finessing.

The other issue is that in the corners, each lane has a different number of spaces – the inside lane being the shortest. Using the pattern brush technique comes close, but it fails to get the spacing right. I found that I needed to use "expand appearance" on the squares and manually adjust the lines for the corners (making sure they aligned to the centerpoint of the circle that I made a guide for earlier).

Wip

I've drawn myself a map of what needs to go into the area surrounding the track, including the official buildings and grandstands. I see this locale as a small, scenic company test track set at the edge of a lake.

I've attached a rough outline of the terrain. I think it's pretty plausable, but feedback is appreciated since I haven't done much mapping on this scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ag7tracktest3.png 
Views:	597 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	14589  

Guild Novice

Very cool.

I had been wondering how hard it would be to make custom maps for Formula D.

Any chance you could go in to more detail on how you've done the track part? Like how you determine how many spaces a turn will take and how many stops should be required?

Thanks

JD

Wip

Here's an update with the ground textures dropped in & blended. There's a lot left to do; most of the grassy space will be forest and the water texture needs work – I've already found better textures but just have to edit and drop them in.

Quote Originally Posted by JDragon View Post
    Any chance you could go in to more detail on how you've done the track part? Like how you determine how many spaces a turn will take and how many stops should be required?
    Well, I did it mostly by feel, and I compared corner lengths with the Monaco track from the base game. Most corners in the game are 1-stop, regardless of how sharp they are. Any compound corners seem to be 2-stop (S-curves) and really complex corner series (zig-zags) are 3 stops. I also found it useful to think about converting the dice values into speeds. A 12-space corner with 2 stops means cars will have to move 6 spaces per move, or about 60kph.

I drew the track layout with illustrator and just used the default placing for the track spaces (whatever the pattern brush gave me).

From there I dropped in the red outlines for the start/end of the corners, just going by the shape of the artwork, but the pattern brushes didn't give the right number of spaces for each lane. I expanded the pattern brush style and adjusted the spaces manually.

Name:	ag7tracktest4.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	786.9 KB 
ID:	14679  

Wip

Updated with trees and redone water. I also added some guardrails around the track edges, and created a graphic for the tunnel that doesn't interfere with the track design too much.

Stuff left to do:
    • building & pavement details for the track interior
    • grass & smaller rocks on the mountain area
    • more detail in wooded areas; bushes maybe
    • corner markers (names & lengths)

Name:	ag7tracktest5.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	829.3 KB 
ID:	14763  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Progressing along quite nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am not a fan of racing and I think your choice for mapping a race track is interesting to say the least

Still, I really like the style. The cliffs and trees are outstanding!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin great, the cartoony trees and lines really makes it pop. On the tunnel maybe you add something like this over top to enhance the effect:

Up to you, no biggie, just me messin around in my lab again and I did it rather quick.

Name:	tunneltest.jpg 
Views:	1126 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	14769  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast