Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formula D test track

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Lookin great, the cartoony trees and lines really makes it pop. On the tunnel maybe you add something like this over top to enhance the effect
    I think your example, while realistic, is probably too dark for gameplay purposes. Counting the tiny squares on the board is usually the #1 activity in playing Formula D, and I want to make sure the tunnel maintains its contrast underneath the graphic so that the squares remain easy to see.

That said, maybe I'll darken it a little bit for added effect.

Wip

Added more detail to the mountain and surrounding woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ag7tracktest6.jpg 
Views:	1222 
Size:	829.2 KB 
ID:	14808  

Wip

Using a photograph of the official Formula D track as reference, I reconstructed the graphic for the turn markers in Illustrator. The gradients and overall slickness of the markers turned out to be a little tricky since I had to use the mesh tool. I also matched the typeface, which is Futura Bold Condensed.

Finally, I did some more work on the interior buildings. I think it's pretty much finished now.

Name:	ag7tracktest7.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	831.6 KB 
ID:	14827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ag7tracktest_turn.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	14828  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool stuff...and well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those tree shadows really add something new and nice. Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

I forgot to add the track name & weather table box, so that's done now too. It also seemed like a good place to stick a signature to the map.

Name:	ag7tracktestname.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	516.8 KB 
ID:	14856  

Guild Novice

Very, very pretty armoredgear7. I'm not familiar with the game it is for, but it looks fantastic. I was always a Car Wars guy myself.

Sorry if this may be a bit contravertial, but I love everything about the map except the trees. If you had fewer of them and ones with alpha holes through the foliage with leaf definition, I think the map would be just about perfect for (for me). I think redrobes or GP put some in the elements forum...please try them. I think the map would be perfect with some good looking alpha masked, lipsmacking, alphaholing, greenywinking, trees.

Seriously, fewer trees and get some nice ones. Everything else is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry if this may be a bit contravertial, but I love everything about the map except the trees. If you had fewer of them and ones with alpha holes through the foliage with leaf definition, I think the map would be just about perfect for (for me). I think redrobes or GP put some in the elements forum...please try them. I think the map would be perfect with some good looking alpha masked, lipsmacking, alphaholing, greenywinking, trees.

Seriously, fewer trees and get some nice ones. Everything else is perfect.
    No worries about the criticism, Ravells. I haven't done much mapping at this scale before, so the style of the trees was really an experiment for me.

Without any offense to Redrobes, I don't really care for the 3d-rendered trees posted in elements forum, so I'll see about drawing trees with more detail & post the results here.

Wip

Well, it's been awhile since my last post.

I've been hard at work experimenting with new ways to draw trees. Currently, I'm creating a brush and layer style set to enable efficient painting of a variety of trees.

The actual brushes are created from overhead images of trees – some rendered, some real. The alpha holes in the trees need to be tweaked depending on the size of the brush, so I'll probably have to tweak my masks and make a couple versions for different sizes.

I've attached an image of the style I'm using right now, plus one of the brushes without any style.

Name:	newTrees4.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	15373  
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast