Thread: The Caverns of Igthal...revised

Map The Caverns of Igthal...revised

I had mentioned briefly in another post that I often revise my drawings several times before settling on a final draft. While this is not such a big deal with my AutoCAD maps, it is a significant undertaking with my hand-drawn works. What makes it all worth while is the amount of improvement I achieve on the redo.

This map is from a game I ran many years ago. I enjoyed it so much that I continued to develop the cavern complex. The first map was made a few years ago on vellum graph paper using Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pens, the second was just completed on Bristol board using the same pens. enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caverns of Igthal.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	14515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caverns of Igthal rev.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	14516  

inspiring! its wonderful to see so much fine detail. on the other hand, my wrist aches just from looking at the crosshatching on that second one...

Strangely, I find crosshatching, stippling and other tedious patterns to be relaxing; I'm able to spend hours just doing repetitive strokes with the pen without ever getting bored. My mind tends to wander so I often find myself finishing large areas without realizing how much time has passed.