I guess many feels the same. I just found this site by the URL at the map in the beginning of Richard Morgans first fantasy book, The Steel Remains.

I'm honestly not drawing so much these days, but I'm a confessed cartophile since reading Tolkien the first time in 1980, and then developing the urge to draw my own when first drawing a map for an RPG in 1984. Since reading about the cartophiliac Kender species in Weiss/Hickman's Dragonlance series I also realised, that was my ailment too.

Among my recent activities in cartography, is my project on hold, to model the entirety of Tokiens fantasy island of Nümenor in 3D för VR, and a lot of studying historical maps of my hometown of Göteborg for the purpose of building a 17th century model of the inner city, purely for the sake of my own pleasure. That project, also on hold for the time being, is now overtaken by the project of building a contempoary CG-game racetrack of the central avenue of Göteborg. I also submitted a few building models for Google Earth.

In past times I have held lectures on the evolution of Tolkiens Middle Earth for grade school students and made an exhibition on the same material, drawn campaign maps of continents and worlds and star charts for mostly science fiction RPGs. My latest proper map was of the known universe of a swedish RPG - Robotar och Räknestickor ("Robots and Scientific Calculators", RoRak, from here on) - a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers pulp fiction fantasy adventure universe.

My interest in this group and it's forums will be that of a curious but experienced bystander. Hopefully I will be inspired to draw more maps and to publish them here.

/Jim