Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken]-[unpaid]Need generic fantasy map

Post [taken]-[unpaid]Need generic fantasy map

I'm in the process of doing a RPG book, and am having trouble coming up with a map.

Brand new RPG company just getting started, potential paid work in the future.

My only request is that it can be "cut" in four pieces, easier to describe sections of a map than the hole one at once.

I don't care about style, but Grey scale or B/W would probably work fine. I am also a fan of pencil sketches.

I even tried a few tutorials and they all sucked.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael Garcia
    Quick and Dirty Games
    quickanddirtygames.com
    Last edited by dungeonraiders; 06-27-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We have a number of fine artists here who can do B&W line art...I'm sure that they'll be along in a few days but you'll need to put up an e-mail so that they can contact you. A link to some examples would also be helpful to weed out those who work in a style that you don't want.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4839

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4744

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2796

Love this one http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3668

Didn't look much but found some that I like

and it doesn't have to be black and white or greyscale, I could you either. Put the BW in the book and give an 11x17 in color.

There ya go...we have a bunch of people who can work in that style (most of us actually) so you should get quite a lot of replies if we only knew your e-mail. Optionally, our forum uses private messages but you'll need to have 5 posts (3 more) in order to send and receive them if you don't have an e-mail.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Sorry about that, dungeonraiders@gmail.com

-mike

Post Not to be negative...

Not to be negative, but...

1. You said you've tried some tutorials, but they all sucked. Did you try the trials available on this site? Many are great tutorials and right up your ally in style.

2. While I am also a (very financially weak) but first time publisher and while I am creating all my own maps, I am having to pay for art - cover design, interior illustrations. I wouldn't dare ask an artist to do that for free.

3. Since your project is commercial and you seem to be only looking for a single map, I'd check your billfold and see if you can come up with $50, I'll bet you'll find plenty of cartographers if you were willing tp pay some reasonable amount of money. Don't pay until you get the map.

Only for a private, non-commercial user, would I even think to offer a map for no pay. For commercial users, pay or no map, is how I see things. Still somebody may comply. I just don't think its a good idea to ask for a commercial project map and no pay.

Expectations that a successful product will get more maps, seems OK, but will you be a success, risk the hope to create a map for no pay - too much risk.

My 2 cents.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-27-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Not to be negative, but...

1. You said you've tried some tutorials, but they all sucked. Did you try the trials available on this site? Many are great tutorials and right up your ally in style.

2. While I am also a (very financially weak) but first time publisher and while I am creating all my own maps, I am having to pay for art - cover design, interior illustrations. I wouldn't dare ask an artist to do that for free.

3. Since your project is commercial and you seem to be only looking for a single map, I'd check your billfold and see if you can come up with $50, I'll bet you'll find plenty of cartographers if you were willing tp pay some reasonable amount of money. Don't pay until you get the map.

Only for a private, non-commercial user, would I even think to offer a map for no pay. For commercial users, pay or no map, is how I see things. Still somebody may comply. I just don't think its a good idea to ask for a commercial project map and no pay.

Expectations that a successful product will get more maps, seems OK, but will you be a success, risk the hope to create a map for no pay - too much risk.

My 2 cents.

GP
    1. The tutorials here are excellent it just came out wrong "my" attempts at the tuts sucked.

2. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do *anything* for free. No such thing as a free lunch.

Someone pointed me in this direction, figured it doesn't hurt to try.

-mike

I'm sure that you'll get some replies but you may have to wait a week or two (this being summer and all)...well in the northern hemisphere. We have some great artists here who do commission work for the various companies out there but if you don't get any nibbles then hit me up and I'll see what I can come up with, this style isn't my strongest but I could use the practice.

At this time I would take any kind of map. Don't really have a deadline(since i'm doing the work) I could wait. But without a map I have little to describe physically in the world, and it's putting me behind schedule because all I have left is the fluff, crunch is done.

I don't care if its an old one new one "crappy" one. I just need something to work with.

I saw you style of map and it is very good looking, just need to see what any of them would look in greyscale.

I'll give credit where credit is due. And if it makes it to print I'll give a copy to the cartographer, if it doesn't make it past PDF you could have one of them too.

-mike

Well here's an example of a recent map; half black and white, half sepia. If ya don't get any replies for exactly what you're lookin for then I can whip ya up something like this fairly quick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artheane-TheAscension-bws.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	14514  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast