Thread: [WIP] Lord of the Isles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Lord of the Isles

Since we started dividing up the map for the RPGBN Campaign setting I’ve been trying to come up with a way of mapping my islands at the standard I wish I could attain every time I start a new campaign setting. There’s usually no surprises when at the beginning of the first session of a new campaign that I whip out a map from an old boxed set just to start us off.

Don’t get me wrong. When it comes to smaller scale maps I’ll be the first to reach for a scratch pad and pencil but I always like the main map to look good. It’s been about 10 years since I last draw a map free hand for my main map and been happy with it.

The first thing that struck me about the the guild was that almost all the really good tutorials generated a random map and left you to use any artistic abilities to push and pull that into the shape you wanted/needed it to be. I may as well do it freehand going from those tutorials as the amount of artistic ability in my body would barely fill a finger tip.

So how did I go about getting to where I am now? Well we started off with MadBrew’s map. From that I cropped out my islands and blew them up so that they fitted onto a 2000×2000 canvas.

It was turning this map into something usable where I had the problem. What I ended up having to do was follow the random map tutorials through until they had they’re land masses created and then copy and paste the coast lines around the island in such a way that they follow the general outline of the blown up islands from the original map. It takes absolutely ages though on a laptop using a touchpad.

There are quite a few things I’m not to happy about though. The colour isn’t quite right, the hills do not blend into the mountains very well and the ocean doesn't sit right with me.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	14507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LORD-OF-THE-ISLE3---main-stencil.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	14508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LORD-OF-THE-ISLE-latest-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	14509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LORD-OF-THE-ISLE-latest-2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	463.9 KB 
ID:	14510  
    Last edited by Bobzilla; 06-27-2009 at 11:39 AM.