Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: The Western Realms

This is looking very good. I very much like it; I'd consider removing the black/white border, though, because it looks weird weaved under the scroll and lands and not really limiting the display at all.

Syd, thanks for pointing out that my border wasn't being of much help. I'll keep all the towns & cities inside.

I've also made the city symbols a bit smaller... Don't know if it does much to help, but I think it's a wee bit better.

Now, for forests...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World11.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	14943  

Okay, I'm done. Haha

If it seems empty, don't worry. I've made regional maps for the individual sections using the everpopular Pasis tutorial. They contain forts, forest names, mountain names, river names, villages, etc.; in general, they contain more detail. This big map is meant to display boundaries and not much more.

I'll likely post this in my game within the week; however, if you've got suggestions or criticisms, I'll certainly take 'em.

Thanks for being cool, patient (I am slow!), and thanks for all the support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fydd.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	16257  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This came out quite nicely.

The only thing I would probably change (and this is just personal preference), is the border colors. They seem a bit neon to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Damn, I realized I forgot a compass rose, or at least a N^ symbol. Where to put the

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Smack in the middle where it says Sea of Fydd

Seriously, that's one of the places i would consider. Or move things around a bit in the lower right and put it right where it says Ralormit's Rim. That would balance a bit with the legend on the left..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

This map turned out great... even though progress was slow
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it except for the scroll. It just doesn't seem to fit. Everything else is great, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's awesome. I actually love everything about this map - the colors, the way the northern lands extend past the long/lat grid border, the font, yep pretty much everything.

Awesome! Thank you! I can't let you know how much your help means to me. If you look at the first post of this thread, you can see how much this forum has helped me. You guys rock.

Most of the reason that it was so slow was because I was learning a lot about Photoshop. I had to remake the map about 10 times because each time I did something, it wasn't be undoable or modifiable. I've learned to use masks and other flexible, editable techniques.

The finished map is in "Finished Maps." How fitting.

Thanks again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast