Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earth Colonies on Venus

Thanks, Sular. I still have a few quibbles with the look, though - I'll need to play around with the text attributes. I like it in the mountains and the bay, but the cities and such look a bit off - the stretching by 50& in width doesn't do much good there, plus I need to align the river labels a bit better - same for Tartaros Lake/Swamp.

I will need to add a few more descriptions as the map looks positively "uncrowded" at the moment, when at the time the tendency was to cram as much info into maps as possible.

My progress is currently slow as I'm pretty busy at work and I'm distracted by the computer version of Blood Bowl.
    Last edited by Syt; 07-06-2009 at 02:25 AM.

A minor update as I still lack the time to do any substantial work atm. I think the colonial holdings are atm too large. The mountains don't look as good on the world map as they do in the close up, unfortunately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthVenus.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	14937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VenusWorldMap.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	14938  

I love what you are trying to do with this map. It reminds me very much of an old RPG called Space 1889, which was a "British Empire in space" setting that drew on sci-fi like that portrayed in the old movies The Time Machine and The First Men in the Moon (HG Wells, Jules Verne kinda stuff).

I like the alternate history settings, so I'll keep an eye on how you progress with this.

Have you based this map on actual images of Venus, or are you simply using your imagination?

DMG

Thanks for checking in. I'm aware of Space 1889, but haven't checked it beyond the basic premise TBH - but it was an inspiration. I'm thinking more of a 1910s/20s/Style Métro type of setting to go a bit more Lovecraftian than Victorian with this, though.

The continent outlines comes from Fractal terrains where I tweaked the settings and hit "next" till a map showed up that I liked. Kinda lazy like that.

I really like the concept and the how you were designing this - any updates?

I really like the look so far: antique, hand-drawn. I'll be using the style as inspiration for my own first attempt at a regional/continental map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12