Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st map using cc3 (land of prydon)

Wip Alternate vegitation

I haven't made that much progress on the overall landscape. i've been going through the various symbol sets and seeing whats there.

Please let me know if the new trees work better or worse than the other trees. also, i darkened up the water some. what does everyone think.

thx,
    Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prydyn alternate.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	14656  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Honestly, I like everything except the trees...they look like mountains. I don't know anything about CC3 but I'm hoping that there is something more artistic to use that meshes better with the mountains. Very nice job otherwise, though, artsy and pleasing color scheme.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Regarding the trees - I have to agree with Ascension they just don't fit with the style of mountains you are using (which are quite nice).

You also have some river anomalies - they generally come together/merge as the approach the see, not split. It's a common mistake among new mapmakers - did it myself bunches of times.

A good analogy for rivers (put forth by another member of the guild) is to think of a tree, where the smaller branches and limbs start in the mountains and come together to create the trunk as it approaches the sea/ocean.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Trees and Rivers

well,

the concensus seems clear. these trees are out.

Rivers..... they are giving me fits. I'll have to go look at some real world maps and see what they look like.

thx for input!!

Wip tree and rivers 2

alright,

went back to the original form of trees, and tinkered with the rivers. The rivers, i've added different widths and messed with the colors.

Don't worry about connection issues, i'll police that up once i'm on the right track with the rivers.

the goal of this island is cold, greenland type of land

Name:	prydyn alt2.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	14671  

So often I see people miss out on the potential of CC3, but this map is looking awesome so far! Keep the good work coming!

Wip Stage 3

Well, I've moved on from prydyn and started on the Dominion of Ur. The intent of Ur is a relatively barren landscape, much of it blasted by some ancient power. leaving the northern relatively untouched, while the south became a wasteland. This is my first draft for Ur. Not really happy with it, and will take any suggestions anyone might have.

Up to this point, I appreciate every comment thats come in, i'm trying to incorporate them, although i am beginning to despise rivers!!

thx,
    Marc

Name:	old world stage 3 whole.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	14756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old world stage 3.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	14757  

Looking good!

But....do you need to use symbols for trees? I find that at times a lack of symbols looks better than a large collection of symbols. Sort of the 'less is more' approach.

But still, very nice. You may want to 'smooth' the edges of the forests from the sharp corners to more rounded.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice

looking good! i must ask, how did you get that lovely gray-blue blur for the ocean? and how did you get the blurry land effects? thanks.

The dark borders is a glow effect (outer). I find alot of ppl assume the glow needs to be bright, but alot of the map styles have darker ones, which I kinda like.

as for the blurry terrain. mainly I use the contour effect with edge fade. u can set it at various strengths and lengths.

i hope this helps,
    Marc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast