Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st map using cc3 (land of prydon)

Wip 1st map (The Old World)

I have had the cartographer for a while, but haven't had the time to devote. i've decided to make the time, but before I did, I wanted to get the communities thoughts to see if my basic mapping looks ok, and to take any suggestions. I am basically using the Annual World.

The Land of the Prydyn is a semi arctic area, meant as a rugged and dangeorus place. its sparcely populated, and the real world analog for them is a cross between the mountain men, and the celts. Please let me know what you think, and what I can do to improve it before I begin on the rest of the world.

thx,
    Marc

originally posted a the CC3 forum, but a very helpful member suggest this forum as a good place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Old World.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	14521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prydyn.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	14522  
    Last edited by Davros01; 07-17-2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: conform more to site

Welcome Davros!
    I already commented on the Profantasy forum, so I am not going to repeat myself here. I am sure others will come along and comment.

I gave you some reputation for posting your first map over here.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This looks nice so far. Would love to see a larger/higher rez version of it though before I try to make any meaningful suggestions, etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks good, and a wonderful start!.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks great. I don't know the first thing about CC3 but this looks like it could have been done in something else which means it's really cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking good. What template are you using? The rivers seem a bit off at their connection with the sea.

Guild Apprentice

Glad to see your map posted over here as well. Can't wait to see how it evolves with the additional input you'll get.

Post Chapter 2

All,

thanks for your comments and encouragement.

I've added another bit, although i'm not happy with it yet. Its the malwa empire. a tropical nation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Based on several comments, i'm going to change the rivers to reflect a bit more blue (and fix some of the connection issues)

Please continue the comments. I am definitely trying to incorporate much of it.

thx again,
    Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old World Stage 2.BMP 
Views:	129 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	14530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old world stage 2 malwa.BMP 
Views:	198 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	14531  

I think the rivers look in general better now. There's a little icon in CC (I don't have a copy at work) that looks like a line with a point on it. If you click it while drawing your rivers (or roads or whatever) and then the line you want it to connect to it will "stick".

Something else I noticed is that your tributaries to the "main rivers" look a bit off in that their direction seems to go against the flow of the main body (i.e. the main river goes to left, and the river flowing into it goes to the right) which is rather unusual in real life.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ehm don't use bmp's, please, they are terribly large. Try to use PNG instead, at least.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast