Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conlang???

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
    I finally got an svg converter so I can actually post the images for those who don't want to follow links.

{First person singular pronoun} exists
    {First person plural pronoun} exists
    {Second person singular pronoun} exists
    {Second person plural pronoun} exists
    {Third person singular pronoun} exists
    {Third person plural pronoun} exists
    I can't see the images, pasting the url into the browser doesn't work and the previous links you posted don't work either. :/

I apologize. I rearranged directories last night, and forgot it would screw up these posts. I've edited the previous posts to fix the problem. Thank you for letting me know about the problem.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Interesting, allthough a bit complicated. Is it related to the picture in your avatar?

It's all the same system. There are 162 basic symbols, and 50+ grammatical markers. Name glyphs are formed from 5 symbols and 4 'name' grammatical markers. Here's another example:
    You can see the same 'Dream' symbol at the bottom of the above glyph, and to the left in my avatar. There are 104 trillion possible symbol combinations for names alone.

My primary influences were Chinese and Mayan writing. Glyphica Arcana is completely ideographic and two-dimensional (instead of linear) and probably isn't very practical. Human minds haven't evolved in that direction. It is pretty though, and fun to use as a mystical script.

Since the ideoglyphs don't align with English, building up vocabulary is an extended process. I never completed the Babel text, but I do have several verses, including the first (pre-svg format):
    "And the whole earth was of one language and speech;" becomes, "And there was but one speech."
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

I'm discovering that conlangs are a lot more work than I thought, since you can't help but make it up as you go

I'm quite pleased with what I've come up with though, Saetian, which I've created as a proto-latin in this world I've created (it serves very much the same role as latin in this world actually, since most modern languages in the main continent are derived from or related to it). It's pronounced pretty much like spanish though.

Eser
    Eo eso / Eo era / Eo o esto
    To eses / To erais / To ai esto
    Lo es / Lo era / Lo a esto
    Noi samo / Noi eramos / Noi oamo esto
    Voi sai / Voi eran / Voi oai esto
    Loi san / Loi eran / Loi an esto

To be
    I am / I was / I have been
    You are / You were / You have been
    He is / He was / He has been
    We Are / We were / We have been
    You Are / You were / You have been
    They are / They were / They have been

Like Spanish and Italian, this language has both Ester and Eser, like Estar and Ser or Essere and Stare.

EDIT: Forgot to include the alphabet that I developed, which I think is somewhat similar to Arab or Sanskrit, but which my brother claims resembles an Alien alphabet...

Last edited by minifidel; 11-10-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Is your "y" character meant to be essentially the same character as the "j" character but just with an underline beneath it?

Additionally, you say the language is pronounced like spanish. That being the case, how is the "j" character pronounced? (Similar to "h" or similar to "y"?) What differentiates it from "h" or "y"?

Within the context of the imaginary world this language evolved in, if "j" is pronounced similarly to "h" or to "y", have you considered what sort of circumstances may have given rise to two letters in their alphabet having effectively the same pronounciation?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

This all brings up fond memories of Spanish class.

This is a piece in my language: Maraxxian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6110002.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	18680  

I have an old conlang lying around from an alien race

I am / Hetet en
    You are / Artet en
    He/She is / Haje en
    E is / Naje en
    It is / Ma en
    We are / Hepe en
    You are / Harpe en
    They are / Narten en

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

E is?

Is that representative of another gender in the alien race? Interesting b/c you also have a combined pronoun for "He/She" and a separate pronoun for "it", so I'm curious what the "E" pronoun (Naje) represents and why there might be a differentiation of "E" vs. "He/She" and "it".
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast