View Poll Results: Homage maps?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everybody doing a similar map based on somebody elses.

9 64.29%
  • The variety of maps that we've wanted to try doing from past submissions.

2 14.29%
  • You're insane you know that right?

3 21.43%

Thread: do your version of someone elses past map

Post do your version of someone elses past map

I was just thinking about how I liked certain maps for past challenges and how I might have made the same map.

It got me thinking that it might be fun to do one or more lite mapping challenges where we either pick somebody elses map from a recent challenge and try our hand at doing our own version of it, or somebody brings up one from the past and we all give it a go.

An example might be the portable island from Jyyke during the June map challenge and everybody gets to give it there own attempt. Everybody gets a chance to make their own portable island in whatever style they want.

Or the challange is to do a past map in your own interpretation and in that case I might take the portable island and sombody else might redo my Jar of refuge (perhaps by doing the three layers of the interior from overhead in aged ink style).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not a bad idea, so long as we pick a map that someone won't get upset about...and for that I think the first choice works best.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll have to agree with Ascension, like the idea but the first option works best for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Fourth'ed, I suppose

Also, if you base it on a map that belongs to an active campaign (or rpg setting), someone could actually benefit from the work that's done?

Kinda reminds me of the Rivermania Challenge where everyone started with the same template. An interesting idea though. Possibly a third option would be to select a known map (i.e. Middle Earth/Earth Sea/Part of the Forgotten Realms/Greyhawh/Dragon Lance) and let participants re-produce it in their own style. But again, there are some that are already working on that sort of thing, so that might be a bit too much re-hashing.

I'll refrain from voting for the time being, but look forward to what the general consensus comes up with.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

That is more or less what was done with the "generic map" challenges, except starting with a crude map rather than a finished map. These more constrained challenges have seemed to draw the most participants, historically.

-Rob A>

Okay I vote that I'm insane but that should go without saying

anyway, I was thinking that map makers could offer their maps up for the challenge so that no hard feelings develope.

I was not attempting to imply that it was to fix what others did wrong, on the contrary. I used the portable island as an example because I love the idea, and I would like to see it as an overhead map, a hand painted map, a crosssection map and everything else that could be applied to a great idea.

That's really where some of the idea came from.

I'd be willing to offer up any of my ... um few, very few, entries thus far. I'd like to see how others would do the other dimensional map, or the Jar of refuge.

Maybe this could be done on a map that was never finished. So we would have somekind of idea of the map area, but not a complete & ready version to compare our versions to.