View Poll Results: Create a town map for Kaidan - as a paid commission

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to be published!

14 82.35%
  • No, mapping is a hobby, this sounds like a job.

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken]Kaidan map commission challenge

Post [taken]Kaidan map commission challenge

Idea, a sponsored challenge for say August 2009...

Kaidan is my soon to be published setting and adventure arc. The initial campaign arc has all its maps, however, at the end of the summer I will begin creating a larger 1st - 20th level campaign.

I want a city map based on my May Challenge Entry: Tanaka's Challenge, (see Redrobes attachment at the end of that thread for all the maps put together.) Follow link to see the slice:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=5434&page=3

Use this slice to help you imagine the rest of that same town. Think of the castle at the southern central end of the map, and the rest of the town surrounds it in a roughly upsidedown U-shape. Use the May Challenge map to help you differentiate the various districts of the town.

I will post idea art pieces showing what a typical street looks like, along with some sample structures as a loose guide only.

Entries would not have to match the style of the May Challenge, in fact I prefer that you use your own style to create it.

As a sponsored Mapping Challenge, the winner will receive a $50 commission fee, and will have their map published in the first adventure of the next campaign, plus once published the adventure will be given as a free bonus.

As far as licensing goes, I will own the work under "All Rights Reserved", but offer a CC licensed version posted here for free downloads.

If this challenge suggestion is approved, I will post more specific details at that time.

Thoughts?

GP

EDIT: I entered 08-01-2009 for poll to close, but it reads 07-08-2009, which is a mistake, so I may extend the poll, on a different thread at that time (man, this suggestion is fighting me!)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-30-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Damn that's tempting ... even without the money.
    My plates are so full :\

I've never made a city map, not even sure I could.. but I could try.
    And getting published always looks good.

Sounds like fun!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the idea...I'd definitely give it a shot.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Need more votes here!

Only seven voters so far? I'd thought this would generate more interest.

To make things easier, its more a town than a city, say 3500 people, at an average of 7 people per home, that's 500 homes, 100 shops, 3 temples and 2 shrines, 1 castle, 60 samurai homes surrounding the castle grounds with the most powerful retainers on the main avenue to the castle front gate. Districts needed are Samurai district, Trade District - the largest, Red Light District.

As in the May Challenge Map, a large river lies just east of the town, there are dockworks north of the challenge map area on that river. Also remember the mountain stream that passes along at least 2 sides of the castle (north and east) and originates from the north.

You don't the same fine detail the challenge map shows, just show your own level of detail in a large town map set in Kaidan.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Novice

Curious, I'l give it a shot. If my scanner works properly. Then just will colour it on the computer....

Tanaka's Challenge was pretty awesome and I'd love to see a challenge like this.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering if we do this as a challenge, would you provide some samples of a style that you're looking for and then the main challenge would be to map in that style? I think it benefits everyone to try and learn new styles. The thing that I find the hardest to implement would be how to determine the winner...just one vote (by GP) or everyone votes and GP picks the one he wants anyway. I'm all for the idea of this, as people always want town maps, so I voted for this some time ago but just now had the above thoughts.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Think of it as a Challenge, not a commission...

In the real world, I, the "publisher" would contact a cartographer whose map style seems to fit my needs in the normal process of commissioning a map.

This is a Challenge, however, so normal rules applies. Once entries are done and deadline arrives, the community votes for their choices and the most votes wins the "commission". As a sponsored Mapping Challenge, the winner earns the $50 commission payment, with their map officially published in the first module of the next great campaign arc set in Kaidan. Finally free PDF of the module will be sent as a bonus (usually standard in the normal commission process.)

As the Challenge Sponsor, I do not get a vote - same no vote as when I was sponsoring the January '09 Challenge.

In the publication I will post a special notice to the CG, presenting the Map Challenge and the community selected winner in the front pages, so buyers will know - more than just the mention of who is cartographer.

I would definitely post some maps of various feudal Japanese cities including Kyoto and others (though much larger in population that what is needed for the adventure, it will show typical town layout, many straight long streets, yet still negotiating the local terrain.)

I'll also post prints of street scenes that show aspects of a Japanese town to try and emulate in each entry. Perhaps some photos of existing walls, canals, bridges and similar structures to gauge sizes, shapes, etc.

I would also post a very general town layout with notes regarding thickness of walls, etc. That would be the only direction provided.

Regarding a specific style, hmmm. You know, I am providing everything from hand-drawn to my photo-realistic map style throughout Kaidan, in a way showcasing my versatility. So I really don't want to hamper the number of entries by demanding a specific style that less are comfortable with.

Because of the proposed population of 3500, 500 homes, and 100 shops, plus castle and other specific required structures, that's quite a bit of work, even if somewhat moderate compared to larger fantasy cities.

Entries can be created with CD3, GIMP, Photoshop, Illustrator, Xara, whatever you're using now. They could be photo-realistic, line art individual buildings showing streets and alleys, or for the really ambitious it could be hand-drawn or tablet drawn creations. Any style that an entrant thinks he can create a great map.

Don't label the final map, but please provide some direction as to where the major required structures are located with copy of map with some labeling. I will provide borders and labeling for the final publication.

I don't want to be too restrictive.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-07-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast