Thread: Agraan - Port Warden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map Agraan - Port Warden

Designed using basic sketches and ideas provided by the commissioner (Spazzle) for his campaign world. I've also included a 'continental' map I created for him as well.

I was given a lot of freedom to experiment with the the layout, etc. and enjoyed working on this.

The map was developed in Photoshop using an old map of the Port of Malta for the basic land shape. I then applied my normal texturing techniques for the terrain and the buildings.

The idea behind the various coloring of the 'neighborhoods' was to mimic/give the impression that they were built at different times at the behest of various city officials. As well as make it easy to identify various parts of the city.

So feel free to leave whatever comments/critiques you'd like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port Warden-v6.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	14557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Agraan-v2-2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	14558  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good.

The local topography makes for an interesting city... My only trial at a city so far looks like a blob in a desert, as I could not get any idea of a location more original than a flatland .

I like the color scheme of the island map, too.

The only improvement suggestion that I have is about the fortifications. I am no military engineer, but in the few star-fort citadels that I had the chance to visit, the star branches were usually on higher ground, with very thick brick or earthen wall reinforcements -in Besancon, I think I remember that some of the "star branches" were nothing but artificial, steep-sloped hills with only a very low wall on the outer edge.
    Last edited by Fabrice; 07-07-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Fabrice - Thanks for the remarks.

There is some height to the fortifications, guess I made it to subtle or I accidentally turned the layer off.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.