Thread: Sea Side Cave

Post Sea Side Cave

I started playing in a Play by Post campaign with a friend from my gaming group. He was using mismatched maps for encounter areas, so I asked if he would like my help.

In any event, he picked out the textures from some I showed him from my collection and sent me a sample layout. He wanted the two alcoves in the north side to be higher elevation than the main floor (uh oh??? better get me a ranged weapon ). The smaller is about 15 feet up and the larger is around 30 feet high, so I hope I pulled that off. The yellow triangles are D&D 4E markers for difficult terrain. The water in the bottom left is sea water, I assume there is a whole in the floor where the water rises during high tide???

This was made with textures from Genetica viewer, GIMP, RobA's dungeon script, and a bit of post work to make the difficult terrain symbol and the elevation changes. Perhaps 20-30 minutes of solid work.

As always, this map is under CC attribution, non commercial license.

Enjoy..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave.jpg 
Views:	3634 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	14562  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 07-02-2009 at 10:26 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat little map...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice map. Really like the textures.
    Repped!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ugh... I have trouble leaving well enough alone.... So.. .I went back and added more color variation to the cavern floor using dodge/burn. Added more shadows around the ledges. Added some color changes on the water bits, with the darker bottom corner indicating deeper water. And added some cracked earth sections where the difficult terrain markers are(per the DM's original request.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------