Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detchersville

Quote Originally Posted by Alfar View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion about where it's more likely for streets to be built - highs or lows? Neither?
    It depends on why your town is there in the first place (which has a significant impact on the type of land on which the town is built). Many classic towns were built on hilltops or ridgelines to be more defensible. In that case the streets are built going into the hilltop fortification or along the ridgeline. If the town exists at a ford then the road is likely to cross the waterway at rougly right angles. A town at the intersection of two major roads is likely to form a grid-type section of roads around the intersection. A linear town built on a road paralleling a waterway will have the road neither higher nor lower than the buildings.

Ok, so maybe not village. Town, rather. Your Gimp brush for drawing buildings looks like it makes the kind of towns I was thinking; with the road lining. The other stuff made with the mosaic filter made blocks of houses.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

Rob A, I'm trying to think of a way to put one brush in each part of a disjoint selection - any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Wip

I haven't given up on this yet... now working on making a path from the selection and using the strokes to figure out where houses should go. Hm...

Anyway, here's an example of my script's output. I clouded a background into it, the rest is scripted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detcher3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	14713  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't take this wrong but those houses look like rocks and this could make for a cool-looking henge.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Aye... one of my colleages thought I was setting up a camp with tents. Ah well. Building shapes is one of the things I'm trying to improve.

Another thing I'm fiddling with is adding trees.

Here's a bunch of trees I've made that I think are pretty nice, and it should be possible to script pretty easily. I also included a transparent version without shadows, for easy snagging.

I know they don't fit the rest of what I generate size-wise, I was just playing around for now.

Name:	trees.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	14726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees_transparent.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	14727  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The tree shapes are nice, but I think you might need to adjust the color a bit.

To me they are a bit over-saturated, almost neon.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I was trying for something like the ones in this map (post #27)

Maybe mine are a bit on the bright side. Easily amended, of course.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Don't feel obligated to change it just on my word alone, wait and see what others have to say. It might just be the monitor I'm looking at.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nah, sure - like I said, for the time being, it's just messing around. Maybe I can make a brush out of them, so one can just paint a forest... hmm.

I'm having some progress with making nicer houses, though. I'm now able to make rectangular selections at any angle.

Edit: Polygonal - T and L-shapes and such.
    Last edited by Alfar; 07-10-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Wip

More progress - I now have a script that made the selections for the houses in the attached image. That's a whole lot better than what I used to have, at least to my mind.

Now, I need to figure out how to avoid placing buildings on top of each other... hmm... May have to paint on a mask rather than work with the selection only. Ah well. Progress never the less.

Edit: Yay - Got rid of the overlapping!

Name:	detcher4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	14736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detcher5.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	14755  
    Last edited by Alfar; 07-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast