Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Complete, full color, 2d / 3d vector map of Tyr

For whatever reason (shading maybe?) your overhead shots give the illusion of depth, only in reverse of what you're going for. I have to concentrate to make myself see the buildings as rising up, rather than resembling big polygonal holes in the ground.

That might just be me though.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's because Sketch Up uses the real sun position to determine lighting and not the standard top left. I get knocked for the same thing all of the time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That's because Sketch Up uses the real sun position to determine lighting and not the standard top left. I get knocked for the same thing all of the time.
    Top-left lighting is only standard if North is up, you live in the southern hemisphere, and it is afternoon

-Rob A>

I'm throwing you some rep because this is a massive undertaking for Sketchup

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    For whatever reason (shading maybe?) your overhead shots give the illusion of depth, only in reverse of what you're going for. I have to concentrate to make myself see the buildings as rising up, rather than resembling big polygonal holes in the ground.

I'm not sure if you've tried this or if it is a potential solution, but one way to create a flat-looking 2D view is to go to the [camera] menu, select [standard views], [top] and then also in the camera menu set the mode to [parallel projection] This eliminates the angular differences in the POV resulting in a more traditional floorplan (or map) look. You can see an example of the difference this makes here.

If the shadows are the issue, you might just try adjusting the time of day slider in the shadow controls.

Awesome awesome stuff! Gonna rep you big time.

So... you are going to produce a sketchup tutorial for all us semi-competent budding sketchup mappers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post

I kinda like the giant pit anyways

Anyone have any idea if this was ever completed or what became of the project or the author? With the recent release of Dark Sun for 4e Dungeons and Dragons I know I'd be wildly excited for this and I imagine many others would be as well

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

The links are broken....

Quote Originally Posted by Benshums View Post
    The links are broken....
    Unfortunately we can't do much about content removed from other sites. That is one of the reasons we encourage members to upload their work here for hosting.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12