Thread: Middleton

Post Middleton

Here's a map of the town of Middleton. I'm not really sure what to do with the background and would love some feedback. I'd also like to add some fields of grain, vegetables, grass (outside the castle), and whatnot along the outskirts - any suggestions as to how to go about doing so?

BTW, this locale has a number of content requests associated with it. If you'd like to help build the Pelagos campaign setting, you can register at the site and signup as a GM. You'll see the specific content requests for Middleton by going to the Middleton page when you're signed in. You can volunteer for any of them and use the tools at the site to create the content in question. Most of the current requests are for maps and descriptions of specific buildings or areas of the town.

Thanks!

Guild Apprentice

Eru -

First reaction: Nice map, if a little bright on the background

This is me, but I'd dial down the background colour a little - maybe a sepia-like tone, such as a light tan colour? I think you'll find that a little easier on the eyes, and it's dead easy to achieve - change the background colour - that way, if you don't like it, you can change it easily!

Next up: I notice that you state in the blurb "History: Middleton has been built and rebuilt in the same location several times" - with this in mind, maybe some of the newer sections of the town have, say, cobblerd or maybe even bricked surfaces (a cross hatch or similar filled polyshape per section of town) in the lower sheets (CC3) would do this reasonably well, I think.

Regarding the addition of cultivated areas outside the town itself, there are fills for polyshapes, such as "meadow" and "farmland" (the latter might be under another name - I'm not at my own PC right now!) that should allow you to do this!

That 's it, so far

As I said - nice map!
    Landgrab website: Strouden - Spinward Marches 2327

Great input Roger, thanks!

I've followed your excellent advice and implemented a tan background, a grey cross-hatch to represent the cobbled section of town, and used the "wood" fill with a dark grey for cobbled streets and with rich brown to create fields ready for planting. I'm using CC2 and don't see a "meadow" or "farmland" fill, but maybe I'm just missing it.

I also used the grass area fill from the city menu along the outside of the castle. It looks good up close, but I don't like how it looks from a distance - too dark. Does anyone know any way of to "thin out" the dust fill in CC that is causing the problem?

Here's the updated map of Middleton.

Guild Apprentice

Eru -

Quote Originally Posted by Eru
    Great input Roger, thanks!
    No problem Glad to be of help!

I've followed your excellent advice and implemented a tan background, a grey cross-hatch to represent the cobbled section of town, and used the "wood" fill with a dark grey for cobbled streets and with rich brown to create fields ready for planting. I'm using CC2 and don't see a "meadow" or "farmland" fill, but maybe I'm just missing it.
    Aha, ok, CC2 instead of CC3 - yep, I've still got that on my machine at home, and I'll be there later today (I've been staying over at my partner's place this weekend), so I'll have a chance to remind myself of the processes to use with CC2 then More at that time!

I also used the grass area fill from the city menu along the outside of the castle. It looks good up close, but I don't like how it looks from a distance - too dark. Does anyone know any way of to "thin out" the dust fill in CC that is causing the problem?
    Yeah, I'd go with that, too dark: There's a way around that, and I'll have a play on CC2 to figure that out when I get home

Here's the updated map of Middleton.
    Thanks Looking good thus far, bearing in mind the above

More later today!

Guild Apprentice

Edit: Aha, it's back up again, should have something for you within the next day or so.

Wow, you must've hit the site while I was doing an update. It's up now. Thanks!

Guild Apprentice

LOL np

Guild Apprentice

Sorry for the delay -

Bad news: I've been suffering a migraine (I get a couple of bad ones per year on average).

Really bad news: I've been unable to get my copy of CC2 to play with Middleton - I think this may be because I've upgraded to CC3; Every time I try to change the fill style, CC2 crashes. Now, I CAN, if you like, import it into CC3, but it will not, say again, not, be backwards compatible to CC2.

Your call, of course.

Looking forward to your reply

Ouch - sorry to hear about the migraine.

I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to CC3 and see what cool new wingdings it has available. Maybe I'll be able to find what I'm looking for there in order to finally finish this map!

Thanks for all the feedback - very much appreciated!